Celosias Inexplicably Wilting

Mark234(3a)July 4, 2014

Hi, I have a question regarding my Celosias. In early spring I planted several types of Celosias, including a "Sparkler Carmine". The Sparkler Carmine have experienced a problem whereby the plants look healthy, then suddenly (within 1 day) begin to wilt. They do not recover from the wilt; they simply get worse and worse and eventually die. This has happened to 3 plants so far. The wilting looks identical as if they were simply starting to get dry. However, in each case the soil moisture level was normal. The 2nd time it happened I popped the plant out of the pot it was growing in and inspected the soil and roots. There was no evidence of root rot, fungus or mold, nor worms or insects. The moisture level was what I would describe as ideal - not too wet and not too dry. I have two other types of Celosias - Fresh Look and Bombay (c. plumosa, argentea cristata). All plants are in the same free-draining potting media, similar light and watering/feeding habits, and were all raised in my greenhouse from seeds. However, only the SC have this problem. The only research I can find that might explain this is a disease called "Verticillium wilt" but I am not sure. Photos of affected plant alongside other healthy plants follow. Any ideas what is causing this? It just happened to another of my SC's a couple days ago.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
art33(6)

Hi Mark, sorry to hear (read) about your Celosia problem. My guess would be Verticillium Wilt. The disease causes wilting by blocking the plantâÂÂs xylem vascular tissues and therefore reducing water and nutrient flow. If you slice the stem of the effected plant open, you might be able to see the distinctive discoloration or streaking in the vascular system.

There is no chemical control of the disease. Check out WikipediaâÂÂs page regarding Verticillium Wilt (see link below).

Hope this helps,

Art

Here is a link that might be useful: Verticillium Wilt

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 3:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mark234(3a)

Thanks for the response Art. On reading more closely that does seem to line up closely with what I have been seeing.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
gerris2
Need trellis ideas for growing sweet peas?
Please if you would post pictures of how you grow your...
ladyrose65
Sweet peas (long and waffling)
Every year, I have the same dilemma - should I be a...
Campanula UK Z8
pineapple sage???
Just like the ornamental pepper, I bought this as pineapple...
terratoma
It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 30
Hello everyone, Welcome to this ongoing message thread....
zen_man
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™