Sparrows in my purslane basket?

crescent_moonJuly 2, 2008

I bought this huge,beautiful purslane hanging basket.It has

multicolor blooms and is very thick and lush.I have feeders

for the birds around my patio.The little sparrows seem to love this.6 or 8 of them at one time will come and hang onto the branches and the wind blows them around.I also

have a nice scaveola basket and they don't pay it any attention.So,I caught them chewing and yanking on some

portulaca I had in a pot;no wonder it got to looking so ragged!I googled purslane and got lots of sites explaining how to eat it.I am not about to eat something that was grown for outside use,but the sparrows don't seem to have a problem with it!I have seen them chewing on the leaves and some of the tiny blooms.Is this normal behavior for them?I have lost so much I had planted this spring on my patio.I live north of Dallas and it got really hot really fast this spring.I was hoping this basket would last well into the fall.Anyone ever have the birds eat your hanging baskets?!

Denah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momamamo

Hi there. I wonder if the birds are just thirsty. Can you put out some water for them? Maureen

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 4:51PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Critters will eat succulent plants in the absence of water. I went away for 2 weeks during august. I had someone water my plants but they forgot to fill the bird baths and the squirrels just tore my Christmas Cactus to shreads. I have known another case where they chewed to pieces soaker hoses belonging to people who didn't provide water.
Feed adn water the critters and they will not need to chew your plants to get moisture.
Linda c

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 7:02PM
crescent_moon

Well, duh!
I guess I managed to overlook the obvious!I do have a birdbath I can put out.We moved and I had left it in the garage and forgot all about it.I can even manage to put it in the shade.thanks for jogging what's left of my brain!
Denah

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 11:35PM
momamamo

Denah, No worries. I've had many a duh moment. LOL

Maureen

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 6:52AM
More Discussions
Need trellis ideas for growing sweet peas?
Please if you would post pictures of how you grow your...
ladyrose65
suggested flowers for my containers?
Last year in my deck flower boxes I planted Petunias...
njitgrad
What seeds are you starting this year?
I am already planning what seeds I will be starting...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
gerris2
Ipomoea nil I have grown this winter
I wanted to share some photos of Japanese morning glories...
gerris2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™