Had a surprise in my annuals bed! lol

kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)July 1, 2012

I have a bed dedicated to annuals only club lol, it's planted with Citrus and Priscilla Petunias. But, I was watering today and noticed 2 tomato plants growing quite well I might add in the bed!!! lol

Well, I did pluck them out and placed them where they belong, in my veggie garden. What a surprise! Some tomato seeds or left over plants that I tossed in my compost pile last year must have sprung up!

More tomatoes! (I am going to have tomatoes growing out of my ears possibly) lol

Could possibly be either "Black Cherry" cherry tomatoes (yikes they are big plants!) or Mountain Fresh Plus both from Johnnys Selected Seeds. Hmmm, time will tell

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dowlinggram

They will be tomatoes but there's not much chance they will be exactly like the plants you had last year. Hybrid seeds seldom come true to form. I know the black cherry is a hybrid--I'm not sure about the other one. Even if it's an heirloom variety being planted and pollinated with others it would not come true from seed.

Hybrids have been cross pollinated many times. Your tomatoes could be any combination of it's ancestors plus whatever tomato that flower was pollinated by.

It would be interesting to see just what you end up with--yes time will tell. You'll have to let us know just what kind of fruit you end up with

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 8:11PM
mandolls(4)

Me too. I have a couple of cucumber plants that I have left to grow in one of my mixed beds. I weeded out several others plus a few tomatoes. Our compost obviously doesnt get that hot.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 8:51PM
mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)

I have corn popping up in my perennial beds - the neighbor puts out corn for the squirrels, so no surprise plants are popping up everywhere...

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 8:08AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I get volunteer cherry tomatoes every year. I'm not much of a judge of tomatoes, but they seem pretty close to the original. I just leave them to reseed in a less-used area of the garden and we have cherry tomatoes every summer.

Martha

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 11:11AM
eahamel(9a)

I get volunteer tomatoes sometimes, too. Usually the Texas Wild, which I also plant in my garden. These will come up in the compost and in other parts of my yard, too.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 8:09AM
Pat

Yum!

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 3:51PM
rosiew(8 GA)

I'm having fun with a watermelon vine that volunteered at the very edge of my slate patio. It's stretched itself to about 15' in length and I have two growing huge melons. This is the result probably of spitting out a seed or two around my little fountain. Glad the patio is a decent size cuz this thing is gignormous!

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 12:22PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I've a woody something, leaves look like a crab apple, that came up in my marigolds. I let the silly thing grow out of curiosity and it is already six fee tall.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Impatiens dropping buds and yellowing leaves
I posted this in the impatiens forum, but not much...
joannemb
pineapple sage???
Just like the ornamental pepper, I bought this as pineapple...
terratoma
gerris2
Black Dragon Coleus care
Hello! I'm a bit new to this plant growing/care thing...
Silverling
Annual vine choice
If you had to choose between hyacinth bean (Lablab)...
mxk3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™