Pictures with questions (zinnia, larkspur, calendula) ?

flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)July 29, 2005

Hi does anyone have larkspur that do this? I found a few strange one that are bright purple with blue "flashes":

(sorry if pictures are large..... I was having trouble resizing):

Does this shaggy calendula have a cultivar name?

What is wrong with this zinnia envy? Some only have one row of petals and this weird fluffy middle with these funny little yellow "sub" petals popping out.

The others look "normal" and full like this:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beleaf(east Canada)

There is nothing wrong with those zinnias. Must be your first go at them is it???

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 8:14PM
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

I've grown zinnias for years but never from seed. I've grown a few varieties from seed this year and none of the others do this. This is my first time growing envy. I guess this is how some of its seedlings look? Not very attractive. I don't know all and all if I'll be growing this variety again.
That picture of larkspur didn't upload very well.... Here it is:

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 1:08AM
Fledgeling_(4b SD)

I just grew zinnias for the first time from seed this year, but looking at the resulting seedlings it looks like the gene that causes the flowers to 'double' or 'layer' or whatever they do is sometimes not expressed or only partially so. i dont know why only some of your varieties did this- i dont know much about zinnias. One plant i have looked as if it was partly expressed with those stay petals doubled later on...

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 5:24AM
Garden_Momma

I think Zinns are doing just fine.

There is the wierd one that will pop up every once in a while...But tht's what makes gardening fun! Very beautiful
larkspur!!!....
G_M

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 7:10AM
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

Does anyone else's larkspur do this? With the stripes/splashes/splotches? :)

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 6:23PM
happyhoe(z6 OH)

Larkspur striping is very common.

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 6:31PM
Florazone9(z9bsTX)

I love that larkspur and would kill for seeds. I have crosses every year with my larkspurs. I had some white ones that I originally planted 5 years ago and get many with pink or lavander splotches also. It's nature and I just love seeing what happens every year as they reseed themselves.

Bookmark   July 31, 2005 at 1:46AM
gardengurl49(z7 MD)

OMGoodness all my zinnia envy look like that weird one.. except worse.. the color is ugly and it just looks.. ugly! liek a weed! How do you take care of yours? At least theres some normal ones there must be something you're doing right! the normal ones look SO beautiful compared to my ugly ones :(

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 4:49PM
lynnencfan(7b/8aNC)

Any time you grown plants from seeds you run the chance of "mutations" from the original seed unless the seed is produced in a sterile enviroment. One of the things that makes growing from seed so interesting is the subtle changes from the original plant. My lakspur runs the gambit from white through every shade of blue to the deepest purple including the one you have pictures - which by the way I think is one of the prettiest colors I had this year. That just was so striking. Cross pollination is what gives us ALL the endless varities of plants to choose from every year. When you buy a packet of seed that shows a particular variety/color/ect - you will get that the first year but if it reseeds in your garden - some seedlings will be the same and many will be different - variety is what make a garden beautiful.

On a side note - I wish I could grow calendula - it just melts in my heat and humidity - yours is so pretty

Bookmark   August 14, 2005 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
Nasturtium seedlings and 29 degrees
I have some nasturtiums that have sprouted and are...
sara82lee
Ipomoea nil I have grown this winter
I wanted to share some photos of Japanese morning glories...
gerris2
Best medium for starting seeds
In a previous thread I was advised to use a seed starting...
zaphod42
What seeds are you starting this year?
I am already planning what seeds I will be starting...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
I need help with my Big Red Judy.
Hello Folks! I planted two Cloeus Big Red Judy's last...
infynite
Sponsored Products
Terracotta 9-Inch Dark Sky Outdoor Wall Mount with Sunface Center Cutout Design
$106.20 | Bellacor
Up the Stairs Bookshelf
| Dot & Bo
Creative Accents Door Mats DirtBuster Single Picture Frame Black 24 in. x 57
$98.97 | Home Depot
'Goodnight Moon' Two-Photo Frame
$14.99 | zulily
Laetitia Frame 8" x 10"
$1,100.00 | Horchow