Morning Glories

liz62(6)July 13, 2012

I planted a bunch of Morning Glories and they are finally vining! They are in the shade so they are taking a little longer to grow than the ones in full sun. Here is a picture of a group of them, when I planted them I did not try to get them in a line, I just kinda threw them down and covered them up. There is a bunch of dark red that I had last year and purple ones that my aunt gave me, I just don't remember which ones were where, oh well, I guess we will see when they bloom.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rodco(zone 5)

I have experimented with Morning glorys this year. I have a vinyl fence that I put strings up on and planted Morning glory plants..in about 6 weeks the fence is covered... problem is they have taken over the bed I planted them in.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 12:49AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

OP's MG look like they have spider mites.. something is on the back of the leaves.. sucking vital juices.. hence the speckled look ...

some water and mulch.. will help also .. increase vigor ...

robs are out of this world ... and way ahead of schedule ...

ken

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 10:30AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Agreed, Ken.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 11:10AM
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

I had given up trying mg, because I never got a single bloom. Someone included some this year in a seed trade, so I went ahead and planted them...what else was I going to do with them? I actually have blooms this year! And they're gorgeous purply ones. The vines aren't tall, but I still have about 6 weeks growing season left!

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 11:17AM
schoolhouse_gw

Yepper, those MG leaves in OP' photo look just like mine this year. Normally I never have a problem growing MG, but this year - not so lucky. I had maybe two blooms early on, now have lots and lots of foliage but no blooms. After the buds form and when still tiny, they actually will turn brown and crispy and drop off. I've tried watering, leaves turn yellow like it makes the plant unhappy. I've seen some webbing - perhaps spider mites like Ken mentioned.

mytime, if those "purply" MG's are Grandpa Otts, no wonder you had no problem getting blooms this year....and probably won't for years to come!

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 7:04PM
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

LOL, that's one thing about gardening in the north...I don't think I'll have to worry about morning glories reseeding!

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 11:36AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

If so, they're easy to pull. I let them go wild in 2 places last year on fences that border beds but the sprouts are super-easy to handle compared to tree seedlings or something like Oxalis stricta. Easy to see, comes out easily and dies on the first pull.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Fence decorating w/ annuals & other things?
I was going to post this on vertical gardening but...
ked1985
What seeds are you starting this year?
I am already planning what seeds I will be starting...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
"Bounce" and "Big Bounce" Impatiens are highly resistant to DM?
With the move to houzz I haven't been following very...
rouge21_gw
ornamental pepper?
I bought this plant as an ornamental pepper ('Black...
terratoma
Introducing myself and Sunflower adventures
Hi, everyone. I used to read a lot and post occasionally...
luvsflwrs NearBoston6B
Sponsored Products
Nelson Ball Clock
Design Within Reach
Quad Wall Clock - Chrome - Newgate Clocks
$165.00 | HORNE
Uncle Sam Figure
Grandin Road
Good Morning Totoro Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Belmont Decor 'Dayton' Double Sink Bathroom Vanity
Overstock.com