Lantana cuttings-

Susy(Zone 5/6 MO.)August 16, 2006

In another post someone mentioned taking cuttings of lantana to start new plants. How is the best way to do this--rooting hormone, soil, water?

I tried putting a cutting of 'Samantha' in water last year but it rotted before getting roots.

Thanks for any ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It's never a good idea to start cuttings in water, even though some of them are quite happy to root that way.

Take 4 to 6 inch cuttings from the tips, removing all flowers and seeds. I prefer to use a good potting medium with extra perlite added as the rooting medium. After removing all but a couple of the uppermost leaves, insert the stems into the moist medium. Moisten again to insure tissue to soil contact and then place in a light (not full sun), well-ventilated area (outside). Keep the cutting flat moist but do not over water. Resist the temptation to check on roots for about a month. And don't try to root them inside the house, where they will be most unhappy. They root best in the spring and summer, do don't delay.

I don't use rooting hormone, but most others do. Won't hurt, and will probably help.

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 11:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Susy(Zone 5/6 MO.)

Thanks so much for the clear instructions. I am going to try this!

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 30
Hello everyone, Welcome to this ongoing message thread....
zen_man
Annuals reseeding in pots?
Hi there. I have kind of an odd question, couldn't...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Need trellis ideas for growing sweet peas?
Please if you would post pictures of how you grow your...
ladyrose65
Hyacinth bean vine (Lablab)
Anyone grown this one? I grew hyacinth bean a long...
mxk3
Ipomoea nil I have grown this winter
I wanted to share some photos of Japanese morning glories...
gerris2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™