When to YOU plant poppies in the south?

donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)August 13, 2010

I know they can be grown here successfully, as I have seen them in gardens. I know they have to be sown in the fall. But WHEN? Please advise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

I'm not familiar with you're climate so I can't give you a date. Instead I'll tell you how they behave in my zone 3 climate.

The poppies drop their seed in August and into the fall. The seed that isn't dropped too early will lay on the ground all winter. Temperatures can get to -30 C or -22 F or lower, but we have good snow cover which protects the seed a bit. The dropped seed sprouts in the spring.

So the answer is--- plant them close to freeze up or when it is gettimg close to the coldest time you have in your area

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 5:36PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Ummm, I am pretty sure they have to be planted early enough to come up and form rosettes of leaves here which overwinter and bloom in early spring before our heat moves in by early to mid May. I am just not sure when that "early enough for growth, but late enough to be cool enough" date is. I definitely planted too late last year. Thanks, though, oilpainter.

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 7:28PM
oilpainter(3)

Ok I can see that in warm climates they would winter over. They are pretty frost tolerant. Maybe this info will help.

Poppies are a cool weather plant. They won't germinate if the soil is too warm. They like a soil temperature of 60 to 65 degrees. They take 10 to 21 days to germinate. So planting them about 6 weeks before your winter should get you a small plant. If you put the seed in the fridge--not the freezer-- for a few days before planting it should speed up the process.

I think If I were you I'd go by the feel of the soil--warm but not hot.

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 10:53PM
dyhgarden(7b)

Here in North Carolina, I direct-sow poppies around Thanksgiving.

I'm a big fan of California poppies (Eschscholzia californica) -- I still have some of those blooming through a summer of triple-digit heat and humidity; a few self-sowed already and there are new plants.

Foliage looks good longer than the other varieties and is actually pretty, can be cut back for more blooms unless you want to let it go to seed. Behaves better IMHO than the papaver types. Shorter stems and narrow form make it easy to grow between anything.

I grow white, pale yellow, "original" orange and purple-lavender.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: purple gleam

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 2:51PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Thanks, you two. This is great info. Hadn't thought of going by soil temp, though that makes perfect sense. I have not grown California Poppies, but have seen them. You're right, Cameron, the foliage is excellent.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 11:22AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Donna, it's generally suggested that you sow your poppies in the fall or even winter, where you are. You could even put out transplants at that time, but seed sowing is so easy.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 11:40AM
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

This is my experience in sowing California Poppy Mission Bells seeds last year.

I scattered the seed on December 7th. I looked occasionally in the weeks thereafter but didn't see any seedlings popping up. I concluded mine was wasted effort.

We had a colder than usual winter here in Central Florida along with the rest of the U.S. so perhaps germination was a bit delayed. Anyway, in spring I began to notice sprouts of ferny bluish-green - it was the California poppies. I didn't note the date on my calendar. More and more sprouted and I ended up with a cheerful and lovely display for the spring and early summer.

In a June 1st picture I took of the garden, they are still blooming but there is some browning foliage so the older plants were on their way out. I didn't note when I pulled the final plant.

I harvested a lot of seed but I'm sure a lot more fell to the ground. I expect a big show this coming spring from that fallen seed.

June

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Amaranthus
Anyone raise amaranthus? I tried it first this year,...
Diamond2014
Shade annuals in 8a
I am looking for some annuals for beds facing NNE in...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Ipomoea nil I have grown this winter
I wanted to share some photos of Japanese morning glories...
gerris2
Hyacinth bean vine (Lablab)
Anyone grown this one? I grew hyacinth bean a long...
mxk3
What seeds are you starting this year?
I am already planning what seeds I will be starting...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™