What's the deal with those miniature petunias?

sf4023stOctober 9, 2010

I've never really been a fan of petunias but every time I visit the Home Depot I am always tempted to buy those 'new' tiny versions of the petunia (at least I think they're petunias) usually grown in a quart container for about $3 in several different colors, I want to know what the deal is with them. The care label is useless and I can't seem to find an information about them on the web. I'm curious to know if they're perennials, unlike the larger old fashioned versions, and the basic care as well. They're really adorable and would work well in pots as a trailer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zen_man

They might be Calibrachoa. They do well in containers, or you can culture Calibrachoa in the ground. There is a lot of available Calibrachoa information on the Internet.

ZM

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 10:07AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You might also find them labeled "Million Bells'. They are a close Petunia relative and their care is similar, though deadheading doesn't seem to be required.

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 12:58PM
calliope(6)

And they could actually be petunias. The petite flowered petunias have been around quite awhile now. I've grown Danziger petitunias for many years now.

I agree, sometimes the care labels are pretty useless, but the label or store display sign should tell WHAT they are. Give us a name and we can help you out a little better.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
What seeds are you starting this year?
I am already planning what seeds I will be starting...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
sunflower wedding
my daughter is having her 2nd wedding the long weekend...
larkspur_grow
How long do zinnia seeds keep for?
I'd like to place an order for some zinnia seeds. However,...
msmorningsong
Annual vine choice
If you had to choose between hyacinth bean (Lablab)...
mxk3
Winter survival of Dusty Miller.
I have seen Dusty Miler survive the winter in some...
emerogork2
Sponsored Products
Love to Eat Chalkboard-Inspired Wall Art
| Dot & Bo
Justice Design Group FAL-8771 - Dakota 1 Light Wall Sconce - Cylinder with Broke
$196.20 | Hayneedle
Z-Lite Hale 3-light Chrome Vanity Light
Overstock.com
Black & Natural Autumn Handwoven Rug
$59.99 | zulily
Justice Design Group POR-8921 - Modular 1 Light Wall Sconce - Square Flared Shad
$196.20 | Hayneedle
Slumber Solutions Choose Your Comfort 8-inch Full-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™