How cold hardy are weeping Lantana?

shelli563(zone 6 MA)November 6, 2007

I have two weeping Lavender Lantana in hanging baskets (the plants are 5' long) and they are still thriving despite having several gentle frosts already. The days have been in the 50's. They are somewhat protected because they hang at the edge of an outdoor porch.

I plan to trim back the plants and bring them in for the winter. I don't want to do that prematurely if they can handle the cold outside, but I don't want to kill them either. How cold can they tolerate it? Any advice on when to bring them indoors?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

They are hardy in the ground here, where our lowest temperature is listed as zero degrees. It's less risky to let them stand until spring without cutting them back, especially if your winters are wet. Hanging baskets might not make at as low as zero degrees.

Bookmark   November 6, 2007 at 1:29PM
dicentra(z6B)

They can take some frosts, however, the top will start to die when it gets below freezing. How are your night temps? I'm in 6B zone and it's going down into the 30's here, then a brief warmup in the 40's at night. When I see the leaves with a purple hue, then I use that as my last safe point to save the plants. My lantana hangs on until around Thanksgiving/early Dec., then I let it die out. Now whether the roots are still viable at that point, I can't be certain. If you want to save the plant, I wouldn't wait too much further. The poor plant will have reverse shock, from freezing cold to warm inside temps...LOL. With warmer temps these days, you may get a little more time outside with the plants, though.

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 10:00AM
shelli563(zone 6 MA)

The nights have been in the low 30's and even some high 20's. I've noticed some purpling on the top of the plant, but everything else looks good. The next two nights are expected to get into the high 20's again with a slight warm up, so I'll put them in the garage until the "warm up", so I can keep them outdoors as long as possible. After that, it's in the basement where it will get a trim, tiny bit of light and little water (the temps will be over 32 degrees). I figure this will simulate dormant conditions and hope for the best for the spring!!

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
Sweet Peas: How to keep alive after 1 ft?
I've tried growing Sweet Peas. They get to about 1...
ladyrose65
Annuals reseeding in pots?
Hi there. I have kind of an odd question, couldn't...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Growing petunias from seed
Hi, I'm interested in growing petunias from seed and...
bellarosa
suggested flowers for my containers?
Last year in my deck flower boxes I planted Petunias...
njitgrad
Growing morning glories on the shady side?
I was wondering how much shade will Heavenly Blue morning...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™