lobelia overwintering?

organic_tosca(9/Sunset 14)November 1, 2007

This may sound like a silly question, but does lobelia ever overwinter? I live in central California, inland. I plan to plant California poppies in a large container, and the lobelia that is currently growing around the perimeter of this container is looking wonderful, the best yet. I can't help thinking what a shame it is to yank it out, and how great that dark intense blue would look next year with the golden poppies. We do have winter here, but nothing, of course, like other parts of the country.

Other Californians and PNWs, have you any experiences to offer? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I have heard conflicting reports about lobelia making it through winter here in Mississippi. I decided to invest in a whole packet of seed and find out this year. I would certainly think they would do well in zone 9. What do you have to lose?

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 9:40PM
calistoga_al

It does not go through the winter here, however it does reseed itself regularly. Al

Bookmark   November 6, 2007 at 9:20AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I saw this thread and thought I'd give you an update. I did my experiment with some interesting results. I put lobelia (Crystal Palace) in three pots. One on my front porch, under the roof, by the brick wall; and two in concrete pots at the foot of the porch steps out in the open. Frosts burned the ones in the open pretty badly, but they didn't die. The ones on the porch under cover were un-fazed. Week before last it fell into the low twenties, and the pots in the open gave up the ghost. This past week it went below twenty degrees two nights in a row. They're all toast now. I'm glad Lowe's carries pansies all winter long:)

Bookmark   January 6, 2008 at 11:47PM
organic_tosca(9/Sunset 14)

So far, so good: The plants have been zapped by frost, but they are still alive. Also, I just this week (after some lovely rain, and then a bit of sun) saw lots and lots of new seedlings coming up. So either way, I guess I'll have lobelias!
Thanks, everyone.
Laura

Bookmark   January 8, 2008 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
How much sun can New Guinea Impatiens tolerate?
I thought of all impatiens as shade plants, but my...
linnea56
It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 31
Hello everyone, Welcome to this ongoing message thread....
zen_man
Seed order
Finally got around to ordering my seeds. I usually...
mxk3
Annuals reseeding in pots?
Hi there. I have kind of an odd question, couldn't...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Impatiens dropping buds and yellowing leaves
I posted this in the impatiens forum, but not much...
joannemb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™