How to prepare planter

v1rtDecember 30, 2008

Good morning folks. I would like to make planters in spring similar to the pictures I attached. I would like to know if they put dirt or potting mix. How deep is it?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sarahbarah27(5)

Well, I can't say for sure what they used in those particular planters, but I can tell you what I do. I use potting soil, usually miracle gro mix. If its a really deep container, i line the bottom with old pots, like 4 or six inch plastic pots, to take up some of the space and allow for some drainage. I always reuse the soil for a few years and they always turn out beautiful. The key is to keep them happy, evenly watered and fertilized. Good Luck!
Sarah

Bookmark   December 30, 2008 at 7:46AM
omniphasic(9 Ca)

Yes,the advice given from Sarah is very good.You'll find that any potting soil will work for you,and using a time release fertilizer is a great idea.It'll feed for about 4 to 6 months and is triggered when you water.Cram your containers to the max for best results....it makes a better display and forces the plants to cascade over the sides of the pots.If using Petunias,make sure you spray bt
around the 1st week of June to avoid budworms.
Have Fun!

Bookmark   January 1, 2009 at 12:55AM
v1rt

Correct me if I am wrong. Here is how I am visualizing it.

Each wooden planter will contain many small containers that are close together.

Or are you saying to fill each wooden planter with the potting soil?

Thanks!

Bookmark   January 1, 2009 at 12:34PM
duluthinbloomz4

What they're saying is - if you're working with large planters, instead of filling it up entirely with potting soil/potting mix, line the bottom with old flower pots (upside down). This takes up some space in the container and you'll have drainage and won't be using bags and bags of potting mix.

Remember also, large planters are very heavy once filled and watered. You might have to assemble them where you want them because moving them can be a chore.

Bookmark   January 3, 2009 at 10:54AM
v1rt

Thank you so much duluthinbloomz4! :)

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 2:16AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

For planters of such large size, Miracle-Gro or other bagged potting mixes will be, at best, a rather mediocre choice - even if you intend to change the soil annually. If you plan to use the soil for more than a year or two, the choice becomes less desirable. A substantial mineral component (needs to be much coarser than topsoil or garden soils) will help the soil retain structure/ durability/ longevity, which bagged soils lack.

There is an active discussion about "Container Soils" if you'd like to join in. Even if you're not willing to make the effort to find the ingredients to make a version of the soils discussed, you'll still come away with a good understanding of what makes container soils work. BTW - making your soils and understanding why the ingredients work well together is not only satisfying, it's also much less expensive in the long run.

Take care - best of luck.

Al

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Fence decorating w/ annuals & other things?
I was going to post this on vertical gardening but...
ked1985
Ipomoea nil I have grown this winter
I wanted to share some photos of Japanese morning glories...
gerris2
It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 30
Hello everyone, Welcome to this ongoing message thread....
zen_man
ornamental pepper?
I bought this plant as an ornamental pepper ('Black...
terratoma
Flattened zinnia cotyledons (pic)
Here is a pic of two Zinnia elegans seedlings I'm currently...
jai_ganesha
Sponsored Products
Lodge Cast Iron Melting Pot
$14.95 | FRONTGATE
Outdoor Lighting. 6-Light Black Plant Accent LED Spotlight
$12.99 | Home Depot
Red Carpet Studios Birdhouse Outdoor Faces Multicolor - 41052
$23.45 | Hayneedle
Phat Tommy Ultimate 2-piece Steel Planter Set
Overstock.com
Offi | Otto Ottoman & Planter
YLiving.com