Organize my patio container garden

srilunewgardenerJanuary 23, 2009

Hi,

I have a small patio and I want to grow some vegetables this summer.I haven't started planting vegetables yet. But, I already have about 20 containers. When I start planting vegetables I will have at least 10-15 more planters. I need a way to organize them as they will be filling up my whole patio. Any frugal ideas? How about cinder blocks and some wooden top, like plywood or pallets if I can find?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
srilunewgardener

I mean, I want to make some plant shelves. any ideas?
Thanks,
Srilu

Bookmark   January 23, 2009 at 1:20PM
siris

Pallets would work fine for it. The cinderblocks would, too, when you can keep the "tabletop" supported. The plywood might warp.

Though, personally, I wouldn't use whole pallets. Sure, they're a big table that can hold quite a few pots, but you might run into issues when working with the plants. If you were to halve them, you could, for example, go around the perimiter of your patio, and either have a center larger table that you can walk around, or have little rows of shelves coming from the perimiter. It'd give the plants more space, and you more working space. Plus, it's easier to see insect problems, and seperate them when it's not all on 2-3 huge platforms.

By halving, I mean cutting the 3 support bars that hold the top and feet of the pallet together. 3 small cuts to make 2 parts.

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 5:21AM
srilunewgardener

Thank you for the reply. Cutting the pallets and arranging along the wall is a great idea. But I don't have tools to cut the pallets and I have never done any kind of wood work before. I also like to idea of using table tops. I got some cinder blocks for free from craigslist. I will buy table tops or get some wooden shelves from lumber store. Once again, thank you for the great ideas.

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 7:50PM
erict

Wire racks shelves are worth a look.

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 1:30AM
ajpa(z6 se PA)

I think wire racks might be good too because they'd let in more light to the lower shlves (depending on where you'd locate them).
Maybe your goodwill or your freecycle might be a source?

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 9:48AM
drrcvoller_grics_net

I,too, have many container plants which I would like to arrange in my small patio. I have looked at shelves, but I think that would be too expensive.
My patio is open, so it gets rain. Could wall building blocks work, or would they be costly as well?

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
Clearance plants - savings thrill
The past few weeks I have had a lot of luck finding...
kandm
Cleaning vinegar rain barrels
I was able to get a blue inudstrial rain barrel from...
adker
bless me father for I have sinned I planted an apple
Here I am, hungry one day, and I buy an Opal apple....
drasaid
Creative Recycling
A lady in our daylily club brought her plants to the...
ChismTrail
Plant Poaching
Now, I'm not talking about going into someones yard...
happycthulhu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™