Uses for dresser drawers?

tomatobob_va7(z7 VA)January 26, 2006

Sometimes, curb shopping, I find complete dresser drawers and their cabinets out on the sidewalk for garbage pickup. On the old ones, the wood is real, not fiberboard or cheap plywood, sometimes it's oak and the drawers are dovetailed. I can use the larger drawers to make smallish coldframes, and the smaller ones to make seedstarting beds for leeks, but after that I'm stumped for GARDEN uses for those drawers. I had to leave a beauty today because I'm out of ideas. What experiences or ideas do you clever folks have on this topic? Thanks for both.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trudi_d

I found a missile case. Well, I'll call them missiles. It's a heavy wooden box (shallow trunk?) with rope handles and is made to hold big gigantic bullets that you put into big gigantic launchers and blow up big gigantic things with. I want to mount it to the garage wall, add some shelves and hooks and use it as a cupboard.

You could use a drawer, painted pretty, stood on its narrow end, as a shelter for the blessed Mary.

T--who as a youth, with her elder brother, had secured an empty blockbuster shell, spray painted it blue, added a birdbath to the top and gave it to our Mom for Mothers Day. Years later, after the birdbath cracked, we just used the shell as a gigantic ashtray and dropped our butts down the open cap.

Bookmark   January 27, 2006 at 12:23AM
triple_b(BC 5b)

Ah I love that irreverent humor!

Bookmark   February 2, 2006 at 5:36PM
beachbarbie(z9a/8b NC)

How about as a place to store your garden tools in different locations around you property? You could make a top for it to keep the weather out.
Nail it up vertically on a fence, paint it (or not) and place small plants on it.
Barb

Bookmark   February 4, 2006 at 2:57PM
seedbandito(7 NC)

I saw one used in a garden with the drawers opened up in steps & planted with lots of pretty flowers!!! It was very lovely.

Nancy

Bookmark   February 24, 2006 at 7:30AM
paradisi(Sunshine Coast)

tomatobob - how about using the whole cabinet and drawers for storing your root crops? a lot of the older cabinets are made from wood that is a natural pest deterent and would keep the bugs out of your spuds - - and if things go wrong and your root crops rot - all you've lost is a free cabinet.

even the drawers can be stacked one on top of the other to store your root crops (and probably small pumpkins)

Bookmark   March 2, 2006 at 10:33PM
chassidysmommy(z 6/7 OK)

I pop the bottoms out and use them as framing for raised beds. Sometimes lining up a whole dresser worth of drawers, sometimes just a single drawer.

The dressers themselves are great when laid on their backs, and used as raised beds too! Especially when painted!

You can also use them in the upright position, as a hanging plant stand, just pull the drawers out in varying amounts, and hang the plants off the pulls.

Melissa

Bookmark   March 26, 2006 at 2:48AM
alison(6b/OH)

I've seen small drawers nailed to the wall of a shed or back porch and used as a shelf for tools, gloves, fertilizer, Preen, etc.

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 2:22PM
girlndocs(8 WA)

I just can't stop thinking that there's probably someone out there (lots of someones) who would really appreciate a complete set of old solid-wood drawers for their intended use. I know my husband and I rescued one from the curb and we treasure it, because it's by far the highest-quality piece of furniture we own!

Maybe you could consider Freecycling the complete drawer sets, or alternatively using Craigslist to sell them for a small sum and using that cash for your garden, and save the garden tasks for the drawers that come with no cases? It seems much less wasteful.

Kristin

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 9:09PM
williejc

I took the bottom out and attached 1/4" wire screen/fencing. I set in my wheelbarrow and I use it as a compost screen.

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 5:39PM
romando(9b/10a , sunset 17)

One of my neighbors (I live in an apartment complex) has 3-4 large dresser drawers planted chock full of different lettuces and asian vegetables (they're Chinese). I don't speak Mandarin or Cantonese so I haven't spoken to them about it personally, but the people are elderly, live on a fixed income, and have the most beautiful greens growing in those drawers outside on their patio. Whatever they're doing works magically!

Amanda 'romando'

Amanda 'romando'

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 4:51PM
annettena

Does anyone know how old a piece of furniture would be that has rounded dovetails. I have a dry sink - with black marble top - and each of the drawers have rounded dovetails. If anyone knows when this would have been made and where, I would appreciate the information. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 1:55PM
suman39

I have several old drawers from a kitchen remodeling project, the cabinets were taken apart but the drawers are still good. I saw an article on how to make a solar oven and want to try it with wooden drawers instead of cardboard boxes. I know this may not be garden related, but it is if you want to cook your produce! I'l let you know if it works out.

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
How do you ask for free stuff?
Just wondering how one goes about asking for free stuff....
Raptor666
Need inexpensive front yard ideas
We are in Southern California and we have a font yard...
teapot7
Cheap grow lamps/seed lamps/seed cultivation methods
I am ready to start my own plants from seeds. But I...
schroedinger
Mycorrhizal Fungi
Been searching google and youtube endlessly for info...
QuinnaBrennan
Can potatoes from the grocery store grow?
I was wondering and got in a friendly argument with...
ezzirah011
Sponsored Products
Hampton Bay Lighting Kits 120 Volt Standard Flex Track Starter Kit White Finish
$79.00 | Home Depot
Rainforest Waterfall Tiered Jars LED Floor Fountain
Lamps Plus
Tec Concealed 1 Outlet Twin Thermostatic Shower Valve (Slim Plate)
Hudson Reed
RION Furniture - Sedna Chandelier, Large - LAMP479L
Great Furniture Deal
New Authentic Hand Knotted Narrow Kazak Runner 2x13 Geometric Red Wool Rug H3434
BH Sun Inc
Authentic Pestemal Fouta Tan and White Pencil Stripe Turkish Cotton Bath/ Beach
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™