What were your best garden bargains in 2004?
2004 was a great year for garden bargains. Here were my top five.
1. 95 Geraniums for $12 on around July 1st. They were in a dumpster at a greeenhouse, huge, lush and lovely. I gathered my courage and asked if I could have them, the answer was no. Then I asked if I could get them at a discount since they were obviously not going to make anything on them in the trash. He finally said I could have them for 25 cents each. I backed up my car and started loading. He quickly tired of hanging around the dumpster in the heat and keeping count. I just said, how about I take anything here I want for $12 plus tax. He said okay. They were lovely this summer and I am currently wintering them over in the basement under lights. That was happy find!
2. A garage sale had two really nice benches with attached square planters for $5 each. Needless to say, I swooped in:). They are now on my deck.
3. At then end of the season, I got 9 clematis for $1 each at Lowes. They looked pretty sad, but I have high hopes.
4. Oodles of free mulch for my garden from the tree trimmers.
5. Traded lots of cool seeds with other garden web members and am starting to winter sow them. All kinds of variety for the cost of postage.
Happy, frugal gardening to you all. Eileen