Seed starting in gelatin capsules?

puzzlefan(5)January 2, 2006

I am a hopeless frugal gardener and anything unused becomes a target for "how can I use this in the garden". When I ordered my usual gelatin capsules, they sent the wrong size filler and capsules. They don't want them returned. If I use just a bit of sand, do you think the capsules would dissolve readily enough to be used for planting very small seeds?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chuck(Z10,SW FL)

Boy, I guess I am going to have to run out and buy some gelatin capsuls and do some expirementing. You might have a very good idea that may apply to a project I am working on. Thanks for the posting. chuck

Bookmark   January 3, 2006 at 5:52PM
puzzlefan(5)

I had another zany idea this morning while filling the little capsules. Also on the counter were several plastic shims that the spouse had bought at menards. They have small indentations of varying depths. So I couldn't resist and I put lettuce seeds in the deeper indentations in one shim and carrot seeds in another. Then I dissolved regular gelatin, let it cool and poured it over the seeds. When set, they were easy to get out using a toothpick to "cut" the gelatin. This afternoon I am going to plant my gelatin sections and see if they sprout.

Bookmark   January 5, 2006 at 12:46PM
tennguy(6a)

I don't see the advantage here. One thing the capsules are good for is covering pepper blossoms before they open so they will "self"-pollinate. If it doesn't fall off when the flower opens, you can remove it, it'll be pollinated by then.

Bookmark   February 12, 2006 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Clearance plants - savings thrill
The past few weeks I have had a lot of luck finding...
kandm
Plant Poaching
Now, I'm not talking about going into someones yard...
happycthulhu
Go Green with used coffee bags
I just want to share how I give another life to the...
avgusta_gw
Where Can You Get Free 55 Gallon Plastic Barrels?
Where can you get free 55 gallon plastic barrels? I...
raspberryflyer
Home Depot throwing out plants.
Hello, I'm just distraught over this. My daughters...
besteststepmommy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™