Help! I need a 20-inch plant drip tray.

magnoliasouthFebruary 14, 2012

The pot I've inherited is just beautiful, but there is no tray.

I have searched high and low. I don't understand why I can't find a drip tray for a large pot. The pot is actually 17" in diameter and for the tray to be effective enough, it needs to be about 20" give or take an inch.

I have Googled it until my eyes have crossed. Lowe's doesn't have one, Home Depot doesn't have one, ACE Hardware doesn't have one and of course, Walmart doesn't have one.

Why do they sell pots that size without them?! That doesn't make any sense. There are some of us who have large plants and one that big is not going to get toted outside just to get it watered.

If you have any ideas, I'm all ears. I sure hope you do!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franknjim

Do a search on Amazon or on any websearch for a "water heater drip pan". You can get them in metal or heavy duty black plastic.

Frank

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 9:15AM
fixerupperinnh(5)

Make one. Get enough cardboard together and get your basic shape cut out. Attach the pieces together then cover the entire thing in a couple layers, or more, of duct tape. (Duct tape even comes in different colors and patterns now.) You can get the exact size and depth that you want.

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 3:28PM
dans_le_jarden(z7 AR)

Those large snack trays at Walmart come to mind. also the dollar tree has them for a dollar. A pizza pan maybe?

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 6:09PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Google "20 inch saucer" and you'll see plenty. Most real nurseries will cary these.

tj

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 9:33PM
tn_gardening

Those large snack trays at Walmart come to mind. also the dollar tree has them for a dollar. A pizza pan maybe?
================

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe even an oil pan tray????

How big are 5 gallon buckets? Would a lid from one of those work?

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 9:42AM
magnoliasouth

Thank you everyone! The Walmart thing didn't fit properly. In the end, I managed to finally find one at Amazon that was big enough. Oddly all the ones I was finding were exactly the size of the bottom of the pot, which made the pot unbalanced sitting on it.

The only problem was that it didn't have any raised ridges to allow room for a pot to drain. So I remembered that I had a bag of large pieces of lava rock I bought a couple of years ago, and never used. I put a few of those in the tray, then set the pot on top. It works beautifully and gives it an interesting look to boot!

I'm so happy to have finally given my tree a happy pot. :)

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 11:51AM
ircyklops

I went to Lowes and bought a large black plastic drip pan for a water heater. I put a plug in the side drain hole and it worked perfectly and was cheaper than one for plants.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 6:57AM
More Discussions
Go Green with used coffee bags
I just want to share how I give another life to the...
avgusta_gw
Plant Poaching
Now, I'm not talking about going into someones yard...
happycthulhu
African Keyhole Gardens
I saw instructions and pics for creating this water-saving...
rainydaywoman_z8
How do you ask for free stuff?
Just wondering how one goes about asking for free stuff....
Raptor666
Creative Recycling
A lady in our daylily club brought her plants to the...
ChismTrail
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™