What to do with old baskets?

Copperlilac(19)March 1, 2005

Yep, 2nd post in a row. I'm usually over in the seed trading section of GW but yesterday, I DISCOVERED FRUGAL GARDENING! WOW...THIS IS JUST WANT I WAS LOOKING FOR!

Anyway, I've got quite a few old, smallish baskets in my basement and I'm looking for creative ideas to use them in my garden. Maybe something besides just using them for planters. "Weathering" them isn't an issue. They've been in the basement for awhile and have the usual "basement odor". Rather than throw them out, I'm looking for ideas.

Anybody have any? Pics would be GREAT!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
breezyb(z6/7VA)

I know what you mean about old basement baskets, as I too have quite a few of those.

While I've never used them outdoors, I have used them as decorative containers for pots of indoor plants such as Amaryllis, of which I have quite a few. An old basket with one or more pots of Amaryllis (or any houseplant, really) hidden by some spaghnum moss can be quite attractive.

Bookmark   March 1, 2005 at 1:19PM
drasaid(zone 8)

Just slapped it on, inside and out, covering it up. I then covered it with wet newspaper and a plastic bag, and waited. It cured, and I put a fig tree in it. It did not look bad and it lasted well. It was pretty heavy but then I used some Quickcrete somebody was throwing out.
An old basket makes a nice small raised biodegradable planter; fill with soil and stick on the ground. Drains well and lets your plant develop until it is big enough to put roots through the rotting pot into the regular soil.

Bookmark   March 1, 2005 at 9:57PM
kms4me

If you wedge them in the crooks of trees (lightly tie in place) or hang them securely from branches, you may quickly find the birds using them to nest in.

Kate

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 12:49AM
Copperlilac(19)

bird nests!!! how cool! :)

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 1:12AM
gatormomx2(9a)

I use small baskets tied to branches with twine as bird feeders. I put black oil sunflower seeds in them. The smaller birds like wrens or titmice seeem to like the safety of a basket. I look for small twig like baskets at the thrift stores. They look so pretty and natural dangling from trees.

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Seed Starting
I use an empty egg carton that the eggs come in from...
garf_gw
Stay Away from Michigan Bulb
Just wanted to warn others that I had a bad experience...
Lynn_Z9
growing a date tree?
I was reading about growing things from the grocery...
jflo
20 cent seed
One of the ''American Seed'' companies have displays...
albert_135
Where Can You Get Free 55 Gallon Plastic Barrels?
Where can you get free 55 gallon plastic barrels? I...
raspberryflyer
Sponsored Products
Brenton 28" Wide Persian White 6-Light Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Campfire Chili Bowl
$13.99 | Dot & Bo
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Red/Ivory 2 ft. 3 in. x 14 ft.
Home Depot
Hudson Valley Lighting | Whitney Swing Arm Wall Sconce
$386.00 | YLighting
PHAT TOMMY Aluminum 7.5 Foot Patio Market Umbrella with Crank and Tilt
Overstock.com
Thomas Eyck | t.e. 026 Plaid Blanket - Large
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™