Getting ready to try this site

Mandyvilla(7a No.VA)March 29, 2004

Our local paper had an article about this website. freetreesandplants.com It's suppose to be a nonprofit, benefiting disabled workers. I plan to order the dogwoods and will post my results. If anyone else gives it a try, please let us know how you did. Suz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
granny2anb

I checked out the site and the only thing you pay for is shipping. I'm going to try it for some bulbs. I'll post the results.

Bookmark   April 3, 2004 at 10:48AM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Excellent site. Please support dignified working enviornments for people who have disabilities. I volunteer to teach gardening and employment life skills at our church where our parishoners are mainly people with disabilities. Someone just turned me on to another local workshop which features a greenhouse training department.
How wonderful for people with disabilities to choose a career instead of just being given a job without a choice of employment!

GGG

Bookmark   April 3, 2004 at 4:56PM
kateedwards11

I ordered some bulbs from them (red daylilies, bearded iris) and thought it was a good value. The bulbs arrived fairly quickly and with good packaging. I just placed a second order. Including the s&h, they are still generally cheaper than ebay or nurseries. Selection is limited but changes every month or so - for those seeking drought-tolerant suggestions (for zone 7, at least), right now they have purple coneflowers, Stella d'Oro daylilies, and liatris bulbs. If you needed trees, these seems like a great deal (note most get pretty big).

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Trees & Plants link

Bookmark   April 14, 2004 at 1:12PM
belle_michele(zone4Minnesota)

Greetings All,
As I have an adult brother (who lives with me) that is mentally retarded AND autistic and every day goes to 'work' in a sheltered workshop...I can't tell how IMPORTANT 'work' is to him. Support these people...I am going to...
I think this is a FABULOUS idea and am going to alert the directors of the program that my brother is in to such a concept.

THANK YOU Mandyvilla for bringing this site to my and everyone else's attention!!!!

Bookmark   April 15, 2004 at 3:58PM
Bitterswt(Z6 E PA)

Unfortunately, this site is no longer working.

Bookmark   April 16, 2004 at 8:40AM
sekhet79

Maybe its just the link. When I typed in the address it worked just fine.

Bookmark   April 16, 2004 at 10:42AM
vabreeze(z7VA)

I was able to access the site both ways-- clicking on the above link and typing in the address. A wonderful project--everyone benefits! Thanks, Mandyvilla, for sharing this site!

Bookmark   April 16, 2004 at 7:44PM
Mandyvilla(7a No.VA)

Hey all, just received part of my order - red twigs. Came in a clear zip lock envelope, very healthy, about 24 inches tall. Put them in a pot and they are loving life. Can't wait for the rest of my order. Suz

Bookmark   April 19, 2004 at 10:11AM
Maid_in_the_Shade(z10 SE.Fla.)

WOW, the many useful things I learn at this forum!!! This has been the best so far, thankyouthankyouthankyou Mandyvilla!!!

I clicked on the link above & it worked fine. I've bookmarked the site in my favorites & plan to return often. We recently moved to 1.25 acres in what used to be pinelands in SE Fla, the original owners must have had all the pine trees cleared off the property when the house was built (the lots around us all have pines). I've been busy planting veggie & bird 'n' butterfly gardens, DH has been equally busy trying to reforest the lot. It's difficult to transplant pines, & expensive to purchase them from nurseries. How happy he was to find on this site 7 loblolly pines for $6.95, also 3 longleaf pines for the same price.

There was a bit of difficulty getting the cyber cart to load, don't know if it was the site or our dino-computer. Sometimes I'd click & things wouldn't show up immediately in the cart, but I think if you wait a bit it comes through. There's an email address for customer service posted if you have problems.

Take a minute to read about their work, how they get plants that would otherwise be wasted & give disabled people the opportunity to earn a paycheck. Seems as if they're in the business of giving the neglected a chance to thrive.

I say, check them out. Place an order. Tell your buds.

Bookmark   April 28, 2004 at 12:36AM
dhana_devi(z6NJ)

Love the concept of this! I went to this site and just ordered some lavender plants. For 3 plants @ $6.95 I figure I can't go wrong. Just bought alot of plants at a local sale for $7 each so I figure I'll even that out. Will let you know how it goes.

I'm a new homeowner, finally getting the chance to garden seriously and on my own turf, as it were. Fortunately have the means to spend a bit, yet I recognize how important it is to save/recycle too. Am learning alot already from reading the posts, getting great ideas. B

Bookmark   May 2, 2004 at 11:54AM
zooter(z7NC)

I have an autistic son, of course he's not old enough to "work", but it is so nice to know of programs like this. I will definitly try them first next time I am ready for new plants. Thanks so much for passing this site on to us!
Angie

Bookmark   May 5, 2004 at 8:03PM
Mandyvilla(7a No.VA)

Bump!!!

Bookmark   May 24, 2004 at 9:51AM
didzgarden(5 ON)

Just checked this site out! What a great idea! I will definetley pass on the info to my friends and family. I hope you will too!@!!

MK

Bookmark   May 24, 2004 at 1:32PM
dhana_devi(z6NJ)

Hi, I got my lavender plants and they weren't quite what I expected. They were 3 shriveled dormant shoots -- came with a buckslip that said they were viable, and to follow the planting directions. I've yet to plant them since I've been busy with the "live" plants I'd bought. I'll get them in the ground this weekend and see what happens. I love the idea of the site and plan to try them again whatever happens with the lavender.

Bookmark   May 25, 2004 at 9:02PM
Havenewfs

I am psyched to try it. I also have a son with autism, and he will need a great deal of supervision and help. He will be in the work force before long. His school does have a nice horticulture program which he hasn't participated in yet. This company sounds like a fantastic concept and a win-win situation for everyone concerned. I run an Internet support list for parents and guardians of more severely impacted children and adult children with autism and/or related developmental disorders. I am going to post this site mentioned on my list to support the organization and to encourage fellow parents and grandparents raising special needs kids to get out and garden and relax.

Bookmark   February 19, 2005 at 6:30PM
madamekikia2z(z6b/nc)

Hi, I just ordered 3 shrubs.
Thanks for sharing a good site.

Kiki

Bookmark   February 21, 2005 at 5:26PM
thorspippi(z9/s14 CA Sacramento)

For some reason, I didn't know they had daylilies! Thanks Kiki for reminding me to check out the place again!

Bookmark   March 10, 2005 at 5:51PM
madamekikia2z(z6b/nc)

One shrub had arrived today in plastic bag.
It appears healthy. I hope they grow well.
Kiki

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 5:20PM
More Discussions
Human urine = seaweed emulsion nitrogen wise
Just wondering . . . . is human urine, sterile and...
drasaid
African Keyhole Gardens
I saw instructions and pics for creating this water-saving...
rainydaywoman_z8
Creative Recycling
A lady in our daylily club brought her plants to the...
ChismTrail
Home Depot throwing out plants.
Hello, I'm just distraught over this. My daughters...
besteststepmommy
Seed Starting
I use an empty egg carton that the eggs come in from...
garf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™