Raised Bed Gardening

simply_divine_joe(z8 Pacific NW)March 1, 2005

Friends,

I've had for years followed Peter Chan's methods for raised bed gardening. Chan is a widely respected horticulturalist in the Pacific NW and has a very green thumb .

I wanted to know about a technique called 'cloche' which creates an early planting season. This technique allows for a 'quonset hut' type environment a corrugated fiberglass tunnel.

The challenge would be watering the prepared soil and making sure the planting bed received sufficient sunlight.

It seems like this may be the next best thing to a cold frame. What do you all think?

Kind regards,

simply divine joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mstrgrdnr(8 GA)

Joe,

I use a variation of the cloche idea on some of my raised beds in order to get an early start as well as to extend the season.

I take pieces of PVC pipe and push the ends into the ground on either side of my 4x8 raised beds. I use 4 pieces of pipe per bed and then cover it with a skin of 3 mil plastic clipped into place with binder clips.

I plant my lettuce and salad greens in one of the hoop houses and am able to carry them through the winter.

I use the others to start my seedling when the weather begins to warm up a little.

Good Gardening!

Aubrey

Bookmark   March 3, 2005 at 11:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
simply_divine_joe(z8 Pacific NW)

Aubrey,

Do you plant your beds north to south to maximize on the sunshine? I'm prepin' the garden to till this week and want to get the advantage of all the sun I can get.

Joe

Bookmark   March 6, 2005 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Any benefit from used tea bags?
Are these good for the soil or potted plants?
cosmo_kramer
Homemade Insecticidal Soap Formula
Today I visited John Starnes' blog: Rosegasms And I...
sandandsun
Can potatoes from the grocery store grow?
I was wondering and got in a friendly argument with...
ezzirah011
Creative Recycling
A lady in our daylily club brought her plants to the...
ChismTrail
Human urine = seaweed emulsion nitrogen wise
Just wondering . . . . is human urine, sterile and...
drasaid
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™