how to get 'free' fresh greens & other veggies

rembetika(austin, TX)March 16, 2005

i just wanted to say a word about how cool it is to throw stuff in your compost pile and find stuff growing there later. i have a huge potato plant that sprouted up out of nowhere within a few days... and there's also some fresh new turnip greens sprouting from some old turnips that were no longer good enough to eat. also when you chop onions (for those who don't know already), instead of throwing away the end part (where the "root" is..) bury it in your pile and watch some new ones come up.

i also noticed some purple cabbage growing out of some cabbage ends that got discarded,, it remains to be seen how big they'll get.

also, supposedly, you can plant lemongrass you buy from the store & you'll get a whole new plant.

there are so many things you can plant & have more of, instead of just throwing them in the trash... what a waste!!

anyone else have some good ideas about kitchen cast-offs that can be recycled into new plants.....?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drasaid(zone 8)

It is good for roses to have them near and it is very convienient to just go out and snap off the green shoots for salads and cooking (and a lot nicer than paying for bundles of green onions that so soon turn into a terrifying slime-in-a-bag.)
You get a sprouted onion or garlic clove (which by the way your grocer may give you free, just ask. The ones that get sunlight sprout, so they often have them.)
and dibble a hole and stick it in. You can just jam it into the ground but I prefer to hide it-let the neighbors think it is a blooming allium.
It will come up soon.
Now, if you have enough of them scattered around the yard you won't have to buy green onions! Yeah!

Bookmark   March 17, 2005 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
Seed Starting
I use an empty egg carton that the eggs come in from...
garf_gw
free wooden boxes
Now is the time to head to your local wine store and...
njcher
Stay Away from Michigan Bulb
Just wanted to warn others that I had a bad experience...
Lynn_Z9
Any benefit from used tea bags?
Are these good for the soil or potted plants?
cosmo_kramer
Frugal raised bed
I need a suggestion for a raised bed to go in my very...
rainydaywoman_z8
Sponsored Products
ALFI Solid Stainless Steel Kitchen Faucet with Built in Water Dispenser - AB2040
$261.33 | Hayneedle
Green Cassandra Floral Ikat Rug
$64.99 | zulily
Safavieh Hand-knotted Vegetable Dye Chunky Red Hemp Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Frolic Fossil Stone 2-light Bath Sconce
Overstock.com
Cupa Rocks Ice Whiskey Glasses
Classic Hostess
Darya Rugs Oushak, Green, 5'8" x 8'4" M1765-90
Darya Rugs
Set of Two Carlisle Woven Outdoor Dining Chairs, Patio Furniture
$899.00 | FRONTGATE
Dristi Green 18 x 18 Zebra Print Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for: