How to Clean Clay Pots

borrego(Z 10 L.A. Cal.)April 10, 2006

I am in the process of replanting all of my succulents in a glazed or ceramic pot into clay pots. I had a couple plants rot on me and have decided for drainage purposes, clay is the best for me.

In my travels, I have acquired several used clay pots. Unless absolutely necessary, I refuse to buy new ones from Home Depot or Lowe's. Same product, a fraction of the price. I can handle a little wear & tear, a chip or a crack. Some have hard water residue on them. Others are simply grimed up from years of use. A few have even been painted. What is the best way to clean them up? I have been told to soak them in water and vinegar, that will loosen the hard water residue, but do not know if that is an old wives' tale or not. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you, in advance, for your opinion, time and knowledge.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fbot(Z5b-Central MA)

Per a recent episode of "Gardening by the Yard", "To remove the salt deposits that form on clay pots, combine equal parts white vinegar, rubbing alcohol and water in a spray bottle. Apply the mixture to the pot and scrub with a plastic brush. Let the pot dry before you plant anything in it."

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 4:51PM
vha7777(7)

A good way to ensure that there are no diseases that are left behind in the pots is to soak them 10 parts water and 1 part bleach solution over night, does the trick everytime. Just make sure that after the soak the clay pots in the solution you soak them again in pure water to get the rest of the bleach out and then let air dry. I keep doing this til I can't smell any more bleach on the pots. Or if you don't mind stick them in the dishwasher, I've done it!

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 10:03PM
soil_lover

After removing any loose dirt, wash the pots in your dishwasher. The deposits come right off.

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
20 cent seed
One of the ''American Seed'' companies have displays...
albert_135
Cheap grow lamps/seed lamps/seed cultivation methods
I am ready to start my own plants from seeds. But I...
schroedinger
free wooden boxes
Now is the time to head to your local wine store and...
njcher
Cleaning vinegar rain barrels
I was able to get a blue inudstrial rain barrel from...
adker
Need inexpensive front yard ideas
We are in Southern California and we have a font yard...
teapot7
Sponsored Products
Moooi | Delft Blue No. 4
YLiving.com
Petal Power Bike Planter
$299.99 | Dot & Bo
80-quart Stainless Steel Stock/ Brew Pot with Deep Steamer Basket and Lid
Overstock.com
SLV Lighting | Galen LED Profile 15 Outdoor Floodlight
$914.00 | YLighting
Mini Green Tree
$24.50 | FRONTGATE