Best Deal on a Wheelbarrow

mwieder(z5 NE OH)April 18, 2007

We're in need of a wheelbarrow - what's the best deal out there right now? Someone mentioned a $60 on at Sam's club but we're not members.

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wolfwalker

I bought a nice 2 wheel wheelbarrow at walmart for 60 bucks last fall they had single wheeled for a few bucks less

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 7:36PM
wish2okc

I'm looking at that two wheel barrow. How do you like yours?

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 9:16AM
wolfwalker

wishfulthinking , i like it a lot doesn't tip over as easy as 1 wheel my ground is on a hillside and its great. But it handles different that a single wheel takes a little practice.

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 6:23PM
deweymn(z4mnstpaul)

First, think about how heavy of a load are you going to put in it. If you overload a cheap wheelbarrow, it won't last.

I got mine from the local hardware store a year ago for $25. Not commercial quality but it holds a full load of compost. For plain dirt, I only fill it half full. With care it should last several years if I retighten the bolts and if you do assemble one, buy some larger washers that fit up against the wood. Put some Thompsons water seal or varnish in any drilled holes in the wood. You might even want to paint the pieces again before assembling. This will make it last longer and weather better.

Test question: Where do you put the main load on a wheelbarrow? Front or back? Improper loading is what makes them tippy. So does overloading.

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 3:59AM
wish2okc

Umm, the back?

The wheelbarrow choice was taken out of my hands. Asked my husband to stop & pick one up for me & he came back with the single wheel kind. However, its deeper than the one I had & made of some kind of plastic rather than metal, and I like it a lot.

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 7:44AM
deweymn(z4mnstpaul)

In the middle and over the wheel. You merely balance the load and the wheel takes the weight of the load. Don't overload.

My $25 wheelbarrow is rubbing on the wheel. Started on the last load I did last week, and then I hauled a stump from my van to the yard and now it really rubs. (too heavy for me to lift). Guess I will have to overhaul it. Wouldn't have happened on a $50 solid style unit. But, since what I do is fix things, I will put it on the list.

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Can potatoes from the grocery store grow?
I was wondering and got in a friendly argument with...
ezzirah011
growing a date tree?
I was reading about growing things from the grocery...
jflo
Homemade Insecticidal Soap Formula
Today I visited John Starnes' blog: Rosegasms And I...
sandandsun
Home Depot throwing out plants.
Hello, I'm just distraught over this. My daughters...
besteststepmommy
Plant Poaching
Now, I'm not talking about going into someones yard...
happycthulhu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™