Where do I get pallets from??

jenica(7B)April 24, 2005

I loved reading that post on all the things you can do from pallets. Now I'm inspired and have a million projects I want to do but no pallets to do it with. Where are ya'll getting your pallets???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grrltrouble(z6 SE Mich)

I'm planning on doing a pallet project or two as well. Since I drive around a lot for work, I try to keep my eyes peeled, especially in manufacturing/industrial areas. I so far, though, have been too shy to go up and ask for any. I've, ummm, liberated two so far, but sometimes it's hard to tell if they are discarding them or just "stacking" them outside (kinda near the dumpster).
Interestingly, though, driving with my mom today, we spotted two pallets at the curb in front of houses. i guess people are doing their spring cleaning maybe? They were both on the same block, and since my mom was driving her big stupid suv, we stopped and grabbed them. They were both pretty big and probably would've never fit into my little toyota. So, since fate just dropped them into my lap, i figure i'll have to start building something really soon.
Once you start looking, you'll see them everywhere

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 9:50PM
jenica(7B)

I'm afraid to just take them because my husband, who sells industrial adhesives, told me that most of the plants he visits have to save the pallets and exchange them when new stuff comes in.

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 10:30PM
breezyb(z6/7VA)

My local feed store gives me all the pallets I want, so I'd check out any livestock hay/feed places in your area. I also see ads from the local newspapers advertising free pallets, as many of them receive their blank newsprint on pallets.

I'd also check big stores like Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Many of them will give you pallets. Check local nurseries as well.

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 12:02PM
jenica(7B)

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out the feed stores. I need to go there anyway to get some vermiculite for my garden so I'll check then.

Thanks again,
Jenica

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 3:09PM
led_zep_rules(5 WI)

If anybody in the Racine/Milwaukee area wants some pallets, I have a heap of old ones in my yard that I would be glad to give away! I just added 2 of them to my compost bin to make it a double, but I don't need all the ones I have.
My brother 'rescued' them so they wouldn't be thrown out.

Marcia

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 2:00AM
val_bliss(6)

Our local lumber yard (locally owned, not a chain) always has a big pile of pallets with a big sign above them "Free Pallets."

Unfortunately we're in southern Connecticut, so this doesn't do you much good. I don't know if this is a common practice for lumber yards. It seems odd for a place that sells wood to be giving it away, even if it is totally inferior.

--Valerie

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 11:01PM
breezyb(z6/7VA)

Again - do check any livestock feed stores in your area.

My hay/feed guys just delivered me a load of hay & almost begged me to take the pallets as well (which I readily accepted).

Bookmark   May 14, 2005 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Cheap grow lamps/seed lamps/seed cultivation methods
I am ready to start my own plants from seeds. But I...
schroedinger
Homemade Insecticidal Soap Formula
Today I visited John Starnes' blog: Rosegasms And I...
sandandsun
growing a date tree?
I was reading about growing things from the grocery...
jflo
Where can I find 'free fill' or free dirt?
Need some frugal advice. What are the best ways and...
Copperlilac
African Keyhole Gardens
I saw instructions and pics for creating this water-saving...
rainydaywoman_z8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™