rice sack soil container for garden doors

mikeytitan(6b)May 14, 2009

Hi,

I have this security door that is in need of a vine so that I can have more privacy in my backyard... I want a vine on it but I don't like the idea of a vine growing onto it from the soil or a pot and making the door difficult to open. So I had an idea to use a rice sack as a mounted container of sorts so that I could grow a vine yet keep the door free moving... The door is facing east/west So I get direct sunlight on both sides of the door during the early morning and mid afternoon which will hopefully cause the nasturtium that I just planted (limited options at the moment due to limited funds for new seeds) to flower on both sides of the door.

Here is a link to the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37262538@N03/3526415658/in/set-72157617604019935/

I wrote a lot of detail under the pics on flickr describing the types of vines I thought about using and the reason why I want to use those particular vines etc... here is the link to my flickr page with a lot more detail on my ideas:

I basically took a rice sack and filled it with soil:

melted holes in the top so that I could thread nylon fishing line through it to keep it close since the sack is mounted sideways.

tied fishing line around and around in different places on the sack so that I could use the line as mounting points rather than trying to mount the sack directly to the security door.

used UV stabilized tie wraps resistant to UltraViolet light so they don't break from sun damage

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100656895&navFlow=3&keyword=tie%2Bwrap&langId=-1&searchRedirect=tie+wrap&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.EndecaDataBean@6efd532d&ddkey=Search

mounted the sack to the gate using tie wraps.

The rice sack naturally drains water due to it being somewhat porous and I used a soldering iron to melt holes in the top for seedlings/vines to grow out of... I also used a hot glue gun to make an edge around the hole to help keep the holes from becoming frayed over time.

Now I play the waiting game to see if there is enough soil, drainage, light... how well an annual does (1st year) versus using a perenenial vine for winter foliage for privacy...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eatsivy

Cool idea! Your gate/door looks stout. How does it operate with the added weight?

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 1:50AM
mikeytitan(6b)

Thanks! The added weight is barely noticeable when i open/close the door... It is made of steel so it is heavy to begin with! I have the sack tie wrapped to the steel bars behind the piece of trellis that has been tie wrapped to the gate for the past few years. The door has plenty of clearance so the door can open fully even with the sack tied to the bottom and sticking out.

the true test will be opening/closing the door when/if it is covered with flowering vines, bees and other bugs... I'm going to have to trim it if it gets out of control and make sure it is always nice and tidy.

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 2:08AM
mikeytitan(6b)

time for an update!

I decided to plant some nasturtium seeds that I had laying around from the neighborhood store...

These pics were taken yesterday:

I had to make the holes a little larger since I didn't anticipate how difficult it would be for me to transplant tiny seedlings into the holes since I ran out of seeds and had to move some extras from different parts of the yard.

Below is the outside of the yard where you can see the nasturtium growing through the lattice:

and... here is a closeup of door on the opposite side of the rice sack:

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 1:43AM
ajpa(z6 se PA)

That is so cool.

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Can potatoes from the grocery store grow?
I was wondering and got in a friendly argument with...
ezzirah011
growing a date tree?
I was reading about growing things from the grocery...
jflo
bless me father for I have sinned I planted an apple
Here I am, hungry one day, and I buy an Opal apple....
drasaid
Mycorrhizal Fungi
Been searching google and youtube endlessly for info...
QuinnaBrennan
Where do you buy cheap plants? Name your fav sources!
I was hoping we could compile a list of stores that...
ms_minnamouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™