Homemade lawn fertilizer/weed control?

leftycatcher(z6MA)May 23, 2006

Hi,

Wondering if anyone knows of any cheap alternatives to commercial fertilizer and/or weed control?

My lawn is becoming overrun with clover (which I understand is a nitrogen deficiency) and plaintain weed; also noticed grubs.

Thanks for any input.

Leftycatcher's Mum

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rain1950(W. WA z8)

Try white vinegar on the weeds. I know it's effective on dandelions. If you can get ahold of manure; brew up manure tea and apply to the lawn.

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 1:53PM
leftycatcher(z6MA)

Thanks, Rain...

I tried vinegar last year, and it also killed off the surrounding grasses - which remained bare thru till this season (which I've just seeded).

The manure tea is interesting, esp as I have access to horse manure. What is the ratio to water, and how long should it sit before ready?

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 8:35PM
rain1950(W. WA z8)

To make the Tea, put five quarts of manure on a 3' X 3' square of burlap or other porous cloth that will act as a strainer to separate the solids from the liquid. Tie the four corners of the burlap together to form a bag. Put the bag in a 5-gallon bucket and add three gallons of warm water. Allow it to steep in the warm sunshine for a week. Remove the bag and suspend it above the bucket until it stops dripping.

To use the Tea, dilute it until it is about the color of Kitchen Tea. This should be about one cup of concentrate to one gallon of water. Use it to water your plants at soil level. It is not recommended for wetting the leaves because the evaporation may increase whatever aroma is present in the Tea.

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Where Can You Get Free 55 Gallon Plastic Barrels?
Where can you get free 55 gallon plastic barrels? I...
raspberryflyer
How do you ask for free stuff?
Just wondering how one goes about asking for free stuff....
Raptor666
Homemade Insecticidal Soap Formula
Today I visited John Starnes' blog: Rosegasms And I...
sandandsun
Clearance plants - savings thrill
The past few weeks I have had a lot of luck finding...
kandm
My frugal methods :)
Where do I start??? My biggest expense was the rain...
farmerkevin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™