Turning kitchen scraps into fertilizer

newbiegardener101May 25, 2009

Does anyone know of any free ways to feed plants using kitchen scraps? For example, I have heard of people mixing cut up banana peel into the surface soil or spreading coffee grounds around plants. I am looking for free ways to easily add to the quality of my soil and help plants grow better.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

Making compost from your kitchen scraps and yard waste is the most frugal thing you can do in your garden.

And if you pay for your trash by the can or by the pound you can save money on that end too.

http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=785

And check the compost forum here too.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 3:10PM
kandm(8b coastal alabama)

Check out the compost forum, they have lots of good suggestions.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 12:19AM
luckygal(3b)

I agree, the soil, compost, and mulch forum is the best place to learn how to improve one's garden soil cheaply. I've learned a lot there. I now make a lot more compost than I used to. My DH just made two more bins using free pallets today. That makes 5 bins I now have. I get free sawdust and horse manure from a local stable which we layer with grass clippings for compost. We've also asked for and gotten free fruit and veggie trimmings at a couple of local grocery stores to add to the compost.

One thing I've done that some people don't always agree with is to just bury veggie kitchen scraps between perennials. I've never had a problem but some people think animals will dig it up. I live in a rural area and never had anything dig it up. The worms make short work of them and by the end of summer there's nothing left altho the soil is improved. If you feed the earthworms they will make lots of castings which are very good fertilizer. They also help loosen the soil as they tunnel thru.

If you use used coffee grounds (UCG) as fertilizer make sure you scratch them into the soil a bit otherwise they can repel water. I've gotten a huge amount of free UCG from a local coffee shop and used it to fertilize my lawn and speed up decomposition of my compost. The worms like these also.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW's Soil, Compost and Mulch forum

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
need ideas for old trampoline pipes, etc.
My neighbors just took down their 4 yr. old trampoline...
clinda62
Creative Recycling
A lady in our daylily club brought her plants to the...
ChismTrail
Cleaning vinegar rain barrels
I was able to get a blue inudstrial rain barrel from...
adker
Cheap grow lamps/seed lamps/seed cultivation methods
I am ready to start my own plants from seeds. But I...
schroedinger
How do you ask for free stuff?
Just wondering how one goes about asking for free stuff....
Raptor666
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™