Need alternative to horticulture oil

kreaMay 5, 2006

I posted this on the garden clinic forum, but that one is VERY slow and I kinda need an answer. So here I am:)

I have been told that the stuff on my camellia is scale. Here is a pic.

And another just for good measure.

And I know I have aphids on my gardenia bush. So I was told that to get rid of the scale I needed to use horticulture oil. However, I have zero money to go buy it. But I really need to get this taken care of cause I have brand new plants by it that I am scared are going to get "infected". So I was wondering if I could use regular vegetable oil or maybe canola oil as a substitute? Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

I had scale on my camellia. I was able to wash it off (with scrubbing). If your plant isn't too big, it's a labor-intensive but inexpensive treatment.

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 5:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlndocs(8 WA)

Over on the Organic Rose Growing forum I believe they say a light vegetable oil can be substituted. You might want to do a search there in case I forgot some caveat or another, though.

I made Cornell formula for my roses using grapeseed oil from my kitchen and it went fine. You're aware that oil can cause serious "burn" on hot sunny days, though, right?

Kristin

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 5:58PM
More Discussions
Cleaning vinegar rain barrels
I was able to get a blue inudstrial rain barrel from...
adker
Seed Starting
I use an empty egg carton that the eggs come in from...
garf_gw
Can potatoes from the grocery store grow?
I was wondering and got in a friendly argument with...
ezzirah011
Clearance plants - savings thrill
The past few weeks I have had a lot of luck finding...
kandm
Homemade Insecticidal Soap Formula
Today I visited John Starnes' blog: Rosegasms And I...
sandandsun
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™