Found 50% off bulbs at Lowes...

primavera_growerMay 26, 2009

When I went to the Lowes garden section, it had "Spring bulb-50% off" so I bought some, Freesia, Gladiolus, and Liatrus bulbs even though they did look pretty crappy and I wasn't too sure if they will grow.

They were kinda dried out and had a few crackly layers of skin, and I'm wondering if they'd have a chance. Was it worth it? Are they hardy enough or too delicate? If they don't grow, ah well, they were only $7.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
heather38(6a E,Coast)

Don't know but I brought a dried out, one leaf and broken grape vine from the sale bit for $5 I asked my hubby the botanist, but rubbish gardener what he thought, and he reminded me how he and our neighbour spent year after year trying to kill our vines between the gardens!
the vine is doing so much better than the plants I have actually brought from nurseries!!!
The thing with spring bulbs is, let them wither but not dry earth, or soaking as they will rot! so that the goodness of the plant goes back into the bulb, I imagine you may well do well, you are in zone 8 so spring is over, so they won't sell unless forward thinkers like you buy them! some may fail! remember alot of spring bulbs need a freeze.

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Homemade Insecticidal Soap Formula
Today I visited John Starnes' blog: Rosegasms And I...
sandandsun
Seed Starting
I use an empty egg carton that the eggs come in from...
garf_gw
Go Green with used coffee bags
I just want to share how I give another life to the...
avgusta_gw
Where Can You Get Free 55 Gallon Plastic Barrels?
Where can you get free 55 gallon plastic barrels? I...
raspberryflyer
Creative Recycling
A lady in our daylily club brought her plants to the...
ChismTrail
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™