I luv craigslist!

freshair2townsquare(z7/8, D/FW)August 2, 2008

I am soooo in love with Craigslist!

Three days ago, I went to two women's homes and received trumpet vine starters, pink verbena, dwarf mexican petunia and purple coneflower seedheads. Yesterday and today, I went to two other homes and collected about a 1/2 cubic yard of irregular limestone rocks and almost 300 clean bricks that are complementary to my home's brick. The best part is that every bit of this was completely FREE!

Yippee!

So I want to hear what y'all have been able to get from Craigslist lately.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Very interesting. I had to google it to find out what you were talking about, but eventually found it.

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/ca

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 12:45PM
freshair2townsquare(z7/8, D/FW)

Oh, sorry - just assumed.

I use the Dallas site. They have sites for almost every major city/region in the states. I've never used the other categories (personal, jobs, etc), only the For Sale. Within that, there's a Free section. It's sort of like an online garage sale.

Over the last four months, I've also gotten a concrete birdbath for $25 and about 60 linear feet of cut limestone also for $25, as well as Oklahoma flagstone, fill dirt and cinder blocks for free. But the past four days have brought such a Craigslist bounty, I had to shout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist Main Site

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 2:20PM
msyoohoo

It's great! Freecycle too! I've given a ton of stuff away. I got a fridge for my garage and earlier this summer a lady who has been growing her garden for 25+ years was giving perennials away. I thought I would get 3 or 4 but she gave me 25-30 plants! I had a lot of digging to do!

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 2:23PM
angelady777 (was angelady on GW) - Zone 6(6)

Thanks for the post! I live in a much smaller city, but I still ended up getting some freebies just now after I saw this thread! WooHoo!

~Angela

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 4:59PM
laurastheme(8)

A couple months ago we brought home a whole pickup load of free plants advertised on Craig's list.

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 6:24PM
billinpa(6)

25x25 EPDM 40 mil pond liner for $75 new. craigslist. love that site!!!! freecylce is nice but you have to be quick or the good stuff is gone and it loads you up with emails.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 9:28AM
drafted72(Chicago)

Be Careful of Craigslist !

About 6 weeks ago, I list my old Maytag Washer & Dryer which were like new for $150. Anyway a woman wrote to me asking me how much and would I deliver them? I told her I would deliever them for .20 per mile and they were $150 as listed in the ad. Anyway, she wrote back saying they should be free because she was 'blessed' by God and for me to be blessed too I should bestore blessing on her and give them to her for FREE !

I wrote back saying NO, and I got back a hate filled email telling me that I only cared about money.......

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 11:23PM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

I do freecycle and love it - have gotten rid of lots of stuff that way - including giving away houseplants (my extras) to a newbie, leftover tile pieces for crafts, a couch, etc. Got a set of wedding cake tier pool steps free (RV $499).

i do the daily digest emails - some i win on, some i don't.

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 12:49AM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

Craigslist and Freecycle, 2 of my favorite sites!
I have gotten tons of stuff through CL, some free, some purchased. Furniture, household stuff (I bought an unused Scooba, the floor mopping robot, like Roomba the vacuum, for I think $75. They're about $300 new- that's when I was hooked...) Even our travel trailer.
I built my garden from free stuff from CL & Freecycle. Redwood boards, once a deck, are my raised beds. Filled with composted horse manure, and other organic materials, all gathered for free that way.
Gotta be careful though, it can be a bit addictive. I've finally managed to back off my CraigsList checking... When I had a big list of things I needed to get when we moved into our house, I think I'd check it at least 4 times a day...

Bookmark   August 16, 2008 at 1:40AM
angelady777 (was angelady on GW) - Zone 6(6)

I just got about 200 large, dark red bricks for my raised garden beds. Wow! I NEVER see anything good here in Craigslist, but since I kept looking once a week or so, I found these right after they were posted. The man I spoke to about them said I was the ONLY one who's responded so far. I tell you, it's worth glancing over the freebies once or twice a week even in a smaller city just to see what might be in the 'free' section. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!!!! I couldn't be more excited! Here's a picture of what the bricks looked like tonight when I started hauling them off:

They looked a whole lot better up close, but at least you get the idea of what they are from the picture. Isn't that amazing? WoooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooo!

~Angela

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 1:02AM
freshair2townsquare(z7/8, D/FW)

good for you, angela

yes, greenbean, it can be addictive :-)

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 3:53PM
indalyne

I'm going to have to haunt those sites now. I wouldn't have guessed they had landscaping stuff. Thanks!

I got all my limestone (big, old, gorgeous limestone I might add) when I saw an ad in the building supplies section of the classifieds in the local paper by a farmer who was giving away the foundation of an old barn for free. At least 50 people showed up to tear it down for him and cart it home!

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 8:28PM
diane_v_44(Z6)

Angela

Those red bricks do look very good
Lots of things they can be used for, for sure

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 3:02AM
beachbarbie(z9a/8b NC)

My husband just bought a 5' tool cabinet on wheels FULL of tools for $200.
Last month he got 2 sleeper sofas, one love seat, one fake leather chair, a dresser, coffee table and a few other odds and ends for FREE. The person had sold their rental condo and were giving away the furniture.
I got a pair of new Timberland boots for $15.
Last week I got 100' of PVC pipe for free and, from another person, 100' of 1/2" rubber tubing; I'm going to put them together for a drip system for my greenhouse.
I've also sold plants on there.
Freecycle - love it. List of things I've gotten and given away is too big to list.
Barb

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 9:39AM
billie_ladybug(5b)

I've done a bunch of stuff on CL, only had one person that was a scammer, but have found a few that were DUH. But in the long run, love it!! I am finishing potting up a bunch of strawberries that I got from a local man who was trimming the runners from his plants. Thank you so much Bob and CL

Billie

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 12:24AM
roxanne777

I love craigslist and freecycle. Obtained lots of bricks,3 shrubs,liriope,landscaping timbers,a wheelbarrow and old windows for free.Not to mention toys,books and clothing.Could have proably gotten more things for free,but gas was so high last year that I couldn't justify the mileage for the item's.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 9:13PM
laurastheme(8)

I check CL at least once a day. Monday I got a papasan chair (free) that I'm going to use for a planter in our yard.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 10:56PM
mawehe63(7)

wow ive never actually been on craigslist but now i think ill have to check it out thanks!

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 11:04PM
zeuspaul(9b SoCal)

I found my wonderful, beautiful and very frugal wife on Craig's List.

Forever Greatful

Zeuspaul

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Plant Poaching
Now, I'm not talking about going into someones yard...
happycthulhu
Stay Away from Michigan Bulb
Just wanted to warn others that I had a bad experience...
Lynn_Z9
Need inexpensive front yard ideas
We are in Southern California and we have a font yard...
teapot7
Home Depot throwing out plants.
Hello, I'm just distraught over this. My daughters...
besteststepmommy
20 cent seed
One of the ''American Seed'' companies have displays...
albert_135
Sponsored Products
I Fountain Mini
SerenityHealth
Tractor Barstool, Walnut
Design Within Reach
Zuo Fort Mason Distressed Wood Shelf
Euro Style Lighting
Afina Signature Collection Contemporary Integral Lighted Single Door 17W x 34H i
$770.00 | Hayneedle
Monogram Correspondence Cards
$24.00 | Horchow
iTouchless NX 8-gallon Automatic Stainless Steel Trash Can
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Kenwood Paprika 7 ft. 6 in. x
Home Depot
Mizone Skylar 4-piece Quilt Set
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™