To kill a grapevine

llbean(z5 MI)August 14, 2005

I have a grapevine that I think has been at this house since Moses.. anyway I want it out.. It has invaded everything and climbed everything.. I have ripped most of what I can out but I want to get the ground back too.. there are these woody fibrous roots growing everywhere.. I really want to use the space and son't want to do the chemical thing but I am getting a back ache and desparate..

any suggestions

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tyrell(Zone 9, CA)

I have a grapevine that I want out..
I really want to use the space and don't want to do the chemical thing but I am getting a back ache and desparate..
any suggestions

Laura,

A completely non-chemical,organic method would be to cover the area with a good, thick layer of newspapers, and cover them with enough grass clippings, leaves, or other organic material to hide the papers. This method can be used to kill virtually any undesired plant.
Soak the papers in a wheelbarrow or bucket first, so they'll be heavier and stay in place better. And it would be best not to use slick parts of the paper with a lot of color in them, especially if you plan to grow food crops in that area. Some colors may contain harmful chemicals.
Not only will this kill the grape, roots and all, but it will improve your soil. And if you wanted to plant something new in the area say next Spring, you can simply dig through the mulch and papers with a hand trowel and stick in the plants.
Easy, free, and it improves your soil!

Bookmark   August 16, 2005 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
Mycorrhizal Fungi
Been searching google and youtube endlessly for info...
QuinnaBrennan
Human urine = seaweed emulsion nitrogen wise
Just wondering . . . . is human urine, sterile and...
drasaid
Where can I find 'free fill' or free dirt?
Need some frugal advice. What are the best ways and...
Copperlilac
Mother Lode This AM
I have been collecting 5 gallon buckets from several...
scottsmith
free wooden boxes
Now is the time to head to your local wine store and...
njcher
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™