free plants

marie99(z8 SC)August 27, 2005

I just scored a truck full of free garden plants because I know somebody in the house salvage business. She tells people when a house is going to be demolished and the garden can be plundered.

It can't hurt to ask local salvage companies if they have this kind of info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beachbarbie(z9a/8b NC)

For a while there, there were so many older homes being torn down around us. These homes were usually at least 30 years old and many times, so were the plants around them. I've saved lots of plants, sometimes even as the bulldozer was doing it's work.
I've gotten daylilies, easter lilies, asparagus ferns, more daffodils than I could possible handle, roses, century plants, a pond, lawn furniture, etc......
Love it!
Barb

Bookmark   September 5, 2005 at 10:35AM
PacNWest

What a great idea! I had never thought of that. I have a firm rule (kinda) that I never bring home more plants than I can put in the ground in one day, but I would sure make an exception if they were free. I guess I am gonna try and make friends with some salvage companies. I am trying to build up a cutting garden and it is slow going, mostly cause I have to work all day and don't have much time to spend on it.

Bookmark   September 21, 2005 at 11:59AM
FlowerLady6(z10 Fl)

Wow, that's a great idea! It would be neat to get a load of plants like that for nothing.

FlowerLady

Bookmark   September 23, 2005 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Where Can You Get Free 55 Gallon Plastic Barrels?
Where can you get free 55 gallon plastic barrels? I...
raspberryflyer
My frugal methods :)
Where do I start??? My biggest expense was the rain...
farmerkevin
Mother Lode This AM
I have been collecting 5 gallon buckets from several...
scottsmith
Any benefit from used tea bags?
Are these good for the soil or potted plants?
cosmo_kramer
Need inexpensive front yard ideas
We are in Southern California and we have a font yard...
teapot7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™