Tarro - Eleph. Ears great Deal

kaye620(z8bGA)September 17, 2005

I'm so excited! I went to a large Korean farmers market yesterday while visiting Atlanta. I bought a bag of 21 small tarros for $0.90! I paid a dollar each for the ones I bought at a retail garden center this spring. I'm not sure if they will look the same, but for 90 cents it doesn't hurt to give it a try. I also bought another "tuber-ish" item, malanga lila. I think it may be related to tarro. I'll just half to wait and see.

There were tons of other items I would have loved to bought just to see what would come up. However, my husband was with me and thinks I'm crazy enough as it is. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bruggirl100(z9 FL)

Great deal! I was gonna say I'd send you some, but I don't think you need them now. The oriental taro has different leaves, but it's very pretty. I have both kinds. If you look up malanga on Google, you'll see how it looks. They are both edible.

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 6:36PM
kaysbelle(z5IL)

Is there an outlet there that ships taro bulbs. They are not available in Central Illinois. Thanks.

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 12:15PM
kaye620(z8bGA)

The place where I bought them was like a large grocery store. So, I don't think they would ship them out. Kaysbelle, I think I saw a web sight that does ship out asian and latin foods. Do a search and see what comes up. From my understanding most ethnic markets have taro. If you live in or near a large town you should be able to find some.

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 10:26PM
gardenpaws_VA(z7 NoVA)

You can also find taro or its first cousin in many markets serving a Hispanic population. Once you have seen them, just go on visuals, not the names.

Bookmark   October 4, 2005 at 10:19PM
undercover_owl(8 Pac.NW)

Kaye620, I'd say that was a good deal!

I was at the local Fred Meyer this afternoon, and I cleaned up their clearance plants! I got a lot of amazing clearance deals, but among the clearance deals I did NOT buy were the "elephant ear" plants for $1 each.

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 1:11AM
vnginger

Think we can put the tarro roots in the ground now?

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 12:16PM
cherylk(Z5-Cent IL)

Kaysbelle,

You mean taro isn't available in Central Illinois? I got mine at Meijers last year.

Cheryl

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
Plant Poaching
Now, I'm not talking about going into someones yard...
happycthulhu
Creative Recycling
A lady in our daylily club brought her plants to the...
ChismTrail
growing a date tree?
I was reading about growing things from the grocery...
jflo
free wooden boxes
Now is the time to head to your local wine store and...
njcher
Where Can You Get Free 55 Gallon Plastic Barrels?
Where can you get free 55 gallon plastic barrels? I...
raspberryflyer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™