What annuals can overwinter to save money?

Binky(z5 WI)October 15, 2004

I've had great luck with geraniums, but no luck with impatients. What have an of you overwintered that was worth the effort? Also, are there any special tricks to overwintering a gardenia? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jungle_Jim(zone 8 / WA)

Morning Binky. I over-winter everything I can. So far the only plants that don't make it are the ones I forget to water...yikes! I bring in my hanging ivies, my hanging ferns. I pot up all my fuschias and geraniums. This year I found a great deal on Gazanias (I love them but they can tend to be a bit tender in our area) so all 20 of those have been potted up. My more tender annuals ie: my impatiens go into the house on a window sill they always make it over. Over time I've learned what's worth spending money on and what isn't. Unfortunately, I moved most of my house plants outside this year ( i usually do anyway). But this year I changed from Miracle Grow to Peters...OMG...I don't know how I'll fit everyting back in... Jim

Bookmark   October 16, 2004 at 9:59AM
phyllis__mn

Now this reminded me that I had meant to pot up the gazenias, and I fear I'm too late by this time! I have had good luck with lantana and the upright fuschia over the years. This year I brought in a heliotrope that was just gorgeous all summer. I never have good luck with impatiens, but I always save my geraniums by pulling them up and putting them in a paper bag, and have good results with doing it that way. I have a very small basement,so must be picky in what I save.

Bookmark   October 17, 2004 at 12:06PM
Binky(z5 WI)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bookmark   October 20, 2004 at 10:09PM
mid_tn_mama(6)

If I don't have time to pot up, I take cuttings of coleus, impatiens, sweet potato vine and root these in water. Later I pot them up and then have a head start on next year.

Bookmark   October 21, 2004 at 10:13AM
cantstopgardening(Zone 4/5 WI)

Binky, I've had good luck with impatiens. Two things though, keep them absolutely away from cold, keep them well watered, and check for spider mites. OK, that's three things, it's been a long day ;-) I root cuttings in water to start them. I have some that are ready to be potted up now. I have had impatiens die from cold in my living room when we lived in Colorado, so I guess I haven't always had success.

I also do geraniums (pelargoniums is the proper name,) sometimes coleus, and this year I'm trying Cane and wax-leaf varieties of begonias, and also fuschia. DD and I also have some caladiums and cannas that we're going to dig up and store the tubers.

Bookmark   October 21, 2004 at 8:47PM
cantstopgardening(Zone 4/5 WI)

Hi again, I just wanted to mention that you might want to look on the winter sowing forum, for great ideas on seed sowing in late winter. Those folks are nuts about seed saving as well. A VERY economical way to start new plants. And some of them just define frugal, in a goood way! Very fun forum, and a great idea.

Happy gardening

Bookmark   October 21, 2004 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Homemade Insecticidal Soap Formula
Today I visited John Starnes' blog: Rosegasms And I...
sandandsun
Seed Starting
I use an empty egg carton that the eggs come in from...
garf_gw
20 cent seed
One of the ''American Seed'' companies have displays...
albert_135
growing a date tree?
I was reading about growing things from the grocery...
jflo
Plant Poaching
Now, I'm not talking about going into someones yard...
happycthulhu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™