frugal or dumb attack?

auntiegrizelda(z5 MI)November 12, 2005

I picked up some clearance bulbs at WalMart at a really good price. Is there a way to hold them over the winter without planting them? The sale of my house fell through and now I'm afraid to commit to the purchase of another until I get another offer on this one. I don't want to plant them here for someone else but not sure what to do with them. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbie_sw_ok(z7 OK)

I don't know about holding them over.

What I would do is plant them in containers. I've had good results doing that in the past. They will look good where you are & transport easily to a new home.

Bookmark   November 12, 2005 at 4:41PM
harryvetch(Cent.VA/ Zone 7)

Nope, they have to be planted this fall.
Plant them in gallon or pots, allow them to go thru their annual life cycle, and they should be fine. Their bloom in 2007 might not be the greatest, but with time & a little fertilizer they'll never know the differance.

Bookmark   November 13, 2005 at 5:34PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

One or two gallon containers with a good free-draining mix and slow release fertiliser. You can plant quite closely for most of the usual spring bulbs: daffodils, tulips, hyacinths and anemone coronaria. Give them at least two inches of mix over the top. It may not be as deep as you'd usually plant in the garden but it will be enough in a container.

Sometimes the tulips will give a poor performance in the first year but really come into their own in the second year, when you plant them out. If they've lost some plumpness through 'being left to last' then they may divide into daughter bulbs or just not perform. Most of the 'usual' ones are pretty tough, though.

I notice that you're in a cool winter zone. You will probably have to put the containers where they won't freeze, or wrap them with bubble-wrap. If they freeze then you'll likely lose the bulbs.

Bookmark   November 14, 2005 at 3:27AM
PacNWest

I'm gonna disagree with the others, based on my experience with bulbs in zone 5. You can leave them in an unheated garage all winter, plant them as soon as the ground can be worked in the spring, and they will come up and bloom. They will be later blooming than if they had been in the ground all winter, but still be fine. I have done this several times with good luck. Why would I do that, you may ask.....
Now days I limit what I buy to what I can plant that day, cause so many times I would come home with a truck load of stuff and not always get it in the ground when I should.

Bookmark   November 14, 2005 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
Stay Away from Michigan Bulb
Just wanted to warn others that I had a bad experience...
Lynn_Z9
Mycorrhizal Fungi
Been searching google and youtube endlessly for info...
QuinnaBrennan
Seed Starting
I use an empty egg carton that the eggs come in from...
garf_gw
bless me father for I have sinned I planted an apple
Here I am, hungry one day, and I buy an Opal apple....
drasaid
Where do you buy cheap plants? Name your fav sources!
I was hoping we could compile a list of stores that...
ms_minnamouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™