Go Green with used coffee bags

avgusta_gwNovember 24, 2013

I just want to share how I give another life to the coffee bags. I just hate to trush really good things and spend money when I don't have to.
At first I rinse these bags from rest of coffee grounds, then fold them nicely how they been folded at the begining of their life, then let them dry.

After that , I place them on the coffee table by 5 pieces and assemble them together with scotch and duck tape on both sides.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
avgusta_gw

then I assemble those 5bags sections into 20 or more bags section. And now It is ready for anything that gardeners so desperatly need sometimes.

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 7:58PM
avgusta_gw

At first, I use it for mulching paths between potato rows. it works great. Nothing is grow through them. Then I left them to block the growing grass on my vegetable garden area after the harvest.
Then I use them to separate the new flower bed from lawn ferocious bermuda grass. I take out sod to other place, then dig out dirt about 18" deep on the edge of the flowerbed. Then stack my taped 40+coffee bags vertically in this trench and my free 24"deep divider in use now. I just ammend and shovel inside part of the flowerbed as deep as needed. Later, I cover this shiny wall what left above ground with rocks which are also free and countless on my property.

Do you have other ideas how to use them?

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 8:01PM
avgusta_gw

Another "road" is ready for new adventure:)

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 8:03PM
sylviatexas1

love that round bed with a rock retaining wall!

Rocks are just beautiful, but you need something to keep seeds from sprouting in the gaps, & yet you don't want that plastic 'fabric' that rots into small brittle pieces.

Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 12:52PM
avgusta_gw

Thank you!
I hope it won't rot in brittle pieces. They said that plastic will not rot forever :))) (should I count on experts' propaganda?), especially if enforced with aluminum foil and hidden from sun light (UV) under rocks.
Those "roads" for mulching may rot , cause they are under sun constantly, we will see, only time will say how hard is it.

I keep rain water in plastic milk containers under sun year around; they survive about 2 years, and then break up.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 5:17AM
avgusta_gw

This is another using as a shade umbrella for a tire.

This post was edited by avgusta on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 5:50

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 5:20AM
sylviatexas1

I think the trick to plastic in the garden is to replace it when it first starts to look 'old', & the plastic coffee bags are solid rather than webbed or woven, so there aren't any gaps in which seeds can settle & sprout.

If you tried to replace landscape fabric, you'd have to uproot all your plants, & you'd still have raggedy fabric bits clinging everywhere.

Bookmark   December 21, 2013 at 4:40PM
avgusta_gw

another flower bed...

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 3:58PM
avgusta_gw

close-up

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 1:44PM
bdot_z9_ca

Where do you get all these coffee bags?

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 4:12PM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

'Where do you get all these coffee bags?'

Starbucks -Grounds for your Garden.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 4:25AM
avgusta_gw

Update. The flower bed is in progress. It is not finished yet, but already has produced a big smily "fruit". :)))

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 4:31AM
avgusta_gw

She is just checking if I do it right.

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 4:34AM
tigerlily17

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS. Thanks for the OP! Can't wait to try. Spring is in the air!!

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 8:18AM
avgusta_gw

Another used- coffee- bag base raised flower bed.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 11:35AM
toxcrusadr

Probably the sun is going to break it down faster than any other factor. Buried, it would probably last for years. At least that's what I find with plastic films that are not specialized for UV resistance. The plastic molecules will still be there, the film just breaks into small pieces.

Good luck with it, I like the last one covered with the rocks, you can't even tell it's there. It would be a bit garish if left naked, IMO. :-D

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 4:08PM
avgusta_gw

These "roads" are covering my vegetable garden areas where I have not planted this year; so , next spring, I will have free from weeds beds. There is no any damage for bags yet; only tapes got loose in some places.

Also, I use them for making a block "wall" for tree roots if I plant something near trees; so, these tree roots won't steal food and drinks from flowers and berry bushes.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
Mother Lode This AM
I have been collecting 5 gallon buckets from several...
scottsmith
How do you ask for free stuff?
Just wondering how one goes about asking for free stuff....
Raptor666
Stay Away from Michigan Bulb
Just wanted to warn others that I had a bad experience...
Lynn_Z9
African Keyhole Gardens
I saw instructions and pics for creating this water-saving...
rainydaywoman_z8
Clearance plants - savings thrill
The past few weeks I have had a lot of luck finding...
kandm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™