Fruit trees in raised beds

yawineyJanuary 31, 2013

Anyone know if a dwarf cherry and dwarf nectarine would co-exist well in a 5.5X4ft raised bed? Cherry will be on Gisela 5 and the Nectarine is on Lovell. I have to put them in raised beds due to the high water table in winter here.
Please share ideas or experience. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

I dont see why not. IF youre worried about drainage, you can put a "Drain" into the planting hole. Ive never done it but ive read about it. Basically you would dig the planting hole as usual, but then you dig down another 3 feet, in the center of the hole about 3 inches wide. Fill that with gravel, and it should help you get rid of some excess water.

I will say I have seen pics of fruit trees in raised beds. I have a pear and an evans cherry in the same sized spots, just not raised.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 6:37AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Ya,

Lovell is a full vigor rootstock and will not dwarf your nectarine. You can still keep your nectarine small though, you just have to prune it more often.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 11:29AM
macmanmatty2(8b)

look at dave wilson nursery videos on youtube they use raised beds all the time when drainage is problem. His are about 2x2x1 ft i think. I was thinking of doing this for a couple of peaches as my ground is too wet and low for them I have found out.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™