Goji Berry Tree Pruning

PunkRotten(9b)January 18, 2013

Hi,

I have had this tree about two years, going on its 3rd year now. I recently transplanted it to a 15 gallon pot. It was in an 18 gallon prior, but it was wide and shallow. The tree did not grow very much last year and I think it had to do with the soil and depth of the pot. Anyway, I did a little pruning already, removed all the dead, damaged, disfigured stems etc. I want to set up a good structure for this tree but don't know how I should train it. I was thinking of just an umbrella shape but I hear this shape gives you less production. I am wondering if I should remove that entire branch on the lower left or not. I am not quite sure what to do really. Any advice? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Lyceum barbarum is not a tree but a very lax growing, suckering shrub. It grows wild around the coasts here and slightly resembles brambles in its habit ie sprawling and spreading. I should think that if you want to grow it as a standard it will need permanent support and constant removal of any side growths and suckers. I'm pretty sure that would considerably reduce the amount of fruit you can expect .

Here is a link that might be useful: Goji

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 7:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlieboring

I just received two goji plants and put them in 1-gallon pots three weeks ago where I will leave them until spring. I plan to put them in my backyard, but the raised garden bed is not yet ready. They are growing like wild fire; already grew 6 inches. During my research, I found that if grown in a container, the growth is limited by the size of the root system, i.e. the container. I also found that you can shape them by pruning. Prune your goji in the early to mid-spring while the plants are still in their dormant period. Do not prune later in the season, as this will disrupt flowering and fruit set and may stress the plant. Cut away any broken, dead, diseased or cracked canes each year and trim back any canes that are sweeping or lying on the soil surface. Cut down to a point of healthy tissue and discard the troublesome cuttings. Remove up to 1/3 of the oldest, longest canes each spring to make way for new growth. Canes fruit in their second or third year so you want to have a mix of new growth, 1-year-old canes, 2- and 3-year-old canes as well as a few older canes for optimal health and fruiting performance. Cut the oldest canes down to the crown of the plant just above the soil line.

Read more: How to Prune Goji : eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6979043_prune-goji.html#ixzz2IKPzT8Ju

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 7:13AM
More Discussions
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™