Starks-Fuji?

loneranger_growJanuary 29, 2014

Again on the subject of Nurseries and Fuji Apples, What do you-a;; think of stark Bro's? Don't hold back now. They have a Super red Fuji tree. Don't know of the root stock? I know Avoid,m111 and m7.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
curtis(5)

why avoid M111 ?

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 9:24AM
loneranger_grow

From reading on here about Fuji on M111. They do not do well. Grow too much wood I read.

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 10:36AM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

LR,
Last year I got 8 trees from them, on sale, and they were very nice. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 7:17AM
loneranger_grow

I have had good luck with them but you never know? Companies change. so many Fuji varieties, and root stocks, it is confusing as to which to buy???

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 8:04AM
ltilton

If rootstock is important to you, avoid Starks.

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 2:12PM
loneranger_grow

With that comment about Starks,,,WHY?

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 3:05PM
ltilton

Because Starks won't tell you what rootstocks you're getting when you buy from them. If "dwarf" or "semi-dwarf" is all you want to know, they're fine. But if you want to use or avoid a specific rootstock, it's a problem.

Several threads around here on this issue.

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 9:43PM
txdurk

Stark Bros is also stingy about telling chill hours. I've seen some varieties of fruit trees being recommended for my 8B area with 800-1000 chill hours. No thanks.

As a new fruit tree guy I just bought three dwarf plums. Since then I realized I have no idea of the rootstock I got. They also screwed up the order. I paid for three dwarfs (larger caliper) but got regular. I had no problems with a refund though. Ymmv.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 4:37PM
kyyada(6B-7A)

Chill hours sometimes is just a number thrown out there when they really don't know. look up Kuffle Creek and Dave Wilson Nursery on you tube and hear what they have to say, he is growing apples with a 800-1000 chill hour in Southern California with low chill hours and 113 temps.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 4:49PM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

From what I've read, it seems like many varieties get by on much lower chill out West than they can thrive on here in the East.

I'm not sure why this is.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 4:57PM
econ0003(10a CA / 8b CA)

The apple trees may get by on less chill hours in the southwest. The vigor is not the same though. They will not grow and produce at the same level as if they had proper chill.

I have witnessed this first hand. My family has property in Julian, CA where there is plenty of chill usually 1000+ hours. I have compared some apple varieties grown in Julian to the same ones grown in my backyard, San Diego, where I get 300 hours. In Julian the trees are much more vigorous, mature faster, and bear fruit much earlier.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 7:46PM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Wanted: Black Ice plum --) swap
Edit This post was edited by Gardening_Maestro on Tue,...
Gardening_Maestro
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™