My apple tree seedlings update:)

eric580January 27, 2013

Well I promised an update and here are my baby apple seedlings! Some are about two weeks and others are only one week. They are red rome,a green apple,a gala apple,and a yellowish pink apple if you're curious. I can't wait to discover what they will turn into. The oldest ones have real leaves.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eric580

Here are the other ones. Say hi to the geranium cutting:) How long does it take for the geranium cutting to root?

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 10:36AM
kathyjo_mo(z5 Mo)

Good luck!

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 9:18PM
eric580

Thank you kathyjo mo:)

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 4:43PM
canadianplant

The growth rate will surprise you. The first season in the ground my apple seedling (macintosh) didnt do too much, but last year it grew over a foot, and is almost ready to be pruned to branch (still a whip).

Good luck!

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 6:52AM
eric580

What protection should I give the little trees? A small fence? I have a lot of rabbits in my yard,but I haven't seen a deer anywhere.How did you protect them canadianplant?

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 5:35AM
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)

we planted a fuji apple seed, and it grew very large. We had it for like 12 years, and it consistently produced bland fruits the size never larger than a ping pong ball. We ended up removing it, it was such a waste of time and space lol.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 3:31PM
kathyjo_mo(z5 Mo)

I would definity put a fence around it. I have a terrible problem with rabbits here and they will find a delicate young seedling apple tree yummy.

dan8, I raise many seedling trees, and have a great time with it. I don't worry that the fruit isn't good to eat, it's all in good fun. I have 6 pear grafts on a seedling pear I raised from seed. I have left a few limbs of the original tree, just in case it turns out to be edible.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 8:24PM
Fascist_Nation(9b)

"....here are my baby apple seedlings! ....I can't wait to discover what they will turn into."

Rootstock.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 8:40PM
Krazy-in-Florida

Looking good, I have wanted to try it as well but like dan8 stated, I don't want to waste time with a tree that may produce but more often it won't.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 2:57PM
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)

We also planted a nectarine seed and the tree grew up so large and strong, but again the fruits were tiny, green and bland. We used them to throw at each other :D We did however, have great success with a yellow peach tree, the fruits were plentiful, large, and very sweet. The new owners of the house decided to take it down though because the tree didn't stand very well, it needed a lot of staking, the root system wasn't very good.

As long as you have the space though, they are extremely fun to watch grow and develop from seedling to tree never knowing what you will get. And you never know when you may be blessed with something really unique and desirable.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 3:38PM
eric580

Even of the fruit are not edible the birds and wildlife will eat them right? I have a wildlife garden.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 7:19AM
More Discussions
Questions on American Plum, Chickasaw Plum, & Beach Plum
Hi, I have limited space and will definitely be planting...
njbiology
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
Fahey Scion List
Wondering if someone had the ability to and time to...
kniles38
newly planted blueberries turning red
I planted 15 blueberries, 8 biloxi and 7 star. 10 of...
tugagardener
Prime-Ark Freedom Chill Hours
For anyone wondering, Prime-Ark Freedom appears to...
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Sponsored Products
Palermo Curved Outdoor Sofa Cushions, Patio Furniture
$795.00 | FRONTGATE
Hampton Bay Outdoor Lanterns. Port Oxford Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Oil-Rubbed
$59.97 | Home Depot
Hydro Systems Georgetown 7035 Freestanding Tub
Modern Bathroom
Draper 3-Light Mid-Century Modern Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Kitty Mansions New York Cat Tree - NEW YORK-BEIGE
$139.92 | Hayneedle
Hinkley Lighting | Avon 3 Light Bath Light