Storing apples?

mrsg47(7)January 19, 2014

Hi all, next summer if all of the planets align correctly and just the right amount of sun combined with rain occur, I just might have my first big apple crop. Six trees out of eight will be producing. Having walked through my orchard yesterday, I have never seen so many fruiting spurs on my trees. It is exciting!

How do you store apples. My house was built in 1893 and has a very cool stone-walled basement. There is a dehumidifier in the basement as during the summer Newport, RI is referred to as 'mildew by the sea'. Will the smell of mildew permeate my apples? How and where is it best for me to store them? Thank you all so much, Mrs. G

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glib(5.5)

Hashed many times here: buy an old freezer on Craigslist for $100, buy a brewing thermostat, set the freezer (through the thermostat), at 38F. Enjoy apples until May at least. This is what I do. The thermostat, new, was $60, but surely it can be had for less. I also pre-bag the apples, so I get one bag at a time out of the freezer. Interestingly, the apples in the freezer did not freeze in my unheated garage during the Great Cold of 10 days ago (3 nights with outside temps below -13F). So the freezer really protects them against outside swings (the temp in the garage was around 14F).

Usual disclaimers apply: store only unblemished apples. I have also a large ice chest in the garage where the selected blemished apples go. I just took the last bag of blemished apples out of the chest.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 1:50PM
mrsg47(7)

Thank you glib. Mrs. G

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 8:51PM
leenamark

I think your basement is good to store the apple as their storage require a little bit of coolness in order to stay fresh in storage for a longer period of time. Proper storage conditions for apples are a temperature between 30 and 35 degrees Fahrenheit (-1.1 to 1.7 degrees Celsius) and a relative humidity between 90 and 95 percent.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 5:19AM
More Discussions
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™