wild raspberry

BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5January 13, 2014

Hi,

I have wild raspberries growing along the edge of our property. The berries are sweet and flavourful but very, very small compared to the ones from the grocery store. I was wondering if I dug some up, planted them in my garden and fertilize the heck out of them, would I get bigger berries?

Has anyone done this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I doubt of they would get bigger, but you might increase production. I always forage wild reds and blacks even though I grow about 20 domestic cultivars.They have a unique taste. I don't grow domestics anywhere near the wild ones, but brought in other wild berries to grow in my naturalized forest-edge garden. Thimbleberry, wine berry etc.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 12:39PM
larry_gene

You would get bigger or longer or more canes, but not bigger berries. Many wild plants prefer poor soil conditions, so I wouldn't go overboard on fertilizer.

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 10:54PM
BriAnDaren Ottawa, On Zone 5

Thanks for the feedback. It seems there's little to be gained by cultivating wild berries.

I don't have the option of keeping domestics far away from these wild berries as they also grow on my adjacent neighbor's property.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 10:06AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

"don't have the option of keeping domestics far away "

I would try anyway! Plants are fairly cheap.
At Indiana Berry they cost about $3.50 each. Oh you're in Canada. Nevermind!
My family still says the wild raspberry jam I made this year (I used a mixture of reds and blacks) was the best jam I ever made. So even though in the city I grow domestics, i still forage the wilds, blackberries too, but they are not as good. The wild raspberries taste nothing like domestics.The wild mulberries I forage are to die for too. Thye are my favorite. Not that good just eating, OK, but in jam or syrup, wow!

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 2:27PM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™