Will my Oriental Persimmons survive 5 degrees unprotected?

Chris-7b-GA(7b)January 4, 2014

Getting ready for some record lows here in the deep south. The forecast for Monday night is for a low of 5 degrees.

I planted last year Fuyu, Chocolate, Ichi varieties, they are all around 6 feet and have pretty nice branching. Will they be ok unprotected? If not will covering them with a big tarp work? Thanks, Chris.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
persimmonbob(6b)

I believe you should not have a problem.My survive at -4* two years in a row.You should be more worried about late freezes in the spring.

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 12:44PM
RobThomas

That's good to hear. I have a couple of older Asian persimmons that I'm not too worried about, but also just planted two Fuyu and two Jiro a couple of weeks ago. Supposed to get in the low single digits here with a high of 10 on Monday. Hopefully they'll survive because I'm not sure I can get four free persimmon trees again!

persimmonbob, my two older trees were unlabeled kakis, but I think they may be hachiya. I planted them a couple years ago when they were already about 6 feet tall. The tallest now is probably 13' - 15'. Is it normal for them to grow that big and still not produce fruit or even flower?

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 1:17PM
strudeldog_gw

I sure am hoping so, This will be the coldest mine have seen. I agree with Bob about late spring snaps. The have really hurt me in GA.

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 6:48PM
persimmonbob(6b)

Yes my asian are that tall,but they all are fruiting and they are still growing taller.But i got news for them,this coming spring they will be topwork to manageble seizes,it was a hassle to pick them this fall.
If you sionwood just let me know.

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 1:01PM
RobThomas

Thanks, persimmonbob. If they don't do anything again this year, I'll have to decide if I want to just replace them with something else, or graft onto them. I guess now is a good time to learn to graft!

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 2:36PM
persimmonbob(6b)

You can keep halve of the tree and bark graft a different variety. I have several growing that way..

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™