Would used organic coconut coir be good for compost?

milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)January 21, 2014

There is an ad in the free section of Craigslist for used organic coconut coir from a greenhouse. Would this be good for adding to my compost, and could it be used as a mulch directly on the soil?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

I'd probably check it out.Here is a link to a Blueberry growing study that Colorado State University did using coir as one of the components.I've used it in some of my containers,along with peat and things grew well. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado State-Blueberries in Pot Project

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 9:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve333_gw

I'd second Bradybb's thoughts, definitely worth checking out. Although I might be a bit suspicious as to why the GH is discarding it, disease issues maybe (but might be OK for you depending upon who's growing what)?

I have used coir in my blueberries (CSU's mix), as well as for other potted plant mixes. It is a nice "organic" substrate that absorbs water well yet still allows for air spaces.

Not sure how it would work in a compost pile, as one of it's main virtues is it is slower to break down than peat, bark and some other soil mix additives. But depending upon what you intend to do with your compost/soils, it may work well. If it were close to me, I'd grab it.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Need help choosing dwarf fruit trees.
These trees will be planted at my own Indianapolis...
URES
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™