Fruit trees okay in full shade in winter?

aliaubJanuary 29, 2014

Hi All,

I have a part of my yard that I had ordered bare root fruit trees for many months ago. Well they are scheduled to arrive in the next couple of weeks and I'm questioning their location now. When I had planned out the space for them, the area was in full sun. Well 1/3 of the area has been in full shade for many months. Will this cause a fruiting issue? I searched online but came up with limited info and the nursery I ordered from is very busy right now and hard to get a hold of. I'm planting apple, peach, plum and apricot trees. Any experience or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mtux96

I'm not an expert, but if it's only in the shade while it's in dormancy, it may be more helpful as it may give it more chill hours in its microclimate.

But I have a Burgundy Plum, a Nectaplum and a Flavor Grenade growing in a less than ideal spot in my backyard between two trees with limited sun. The nectaplum in the middle is doing great and is flowering and fruiting right now as was around 9 feet tall before my landlord had the two large trees pruned and the tree cutters let the branches fall on my trees. Now it's 7 feet as the tip was damaged. These trees were planted last year. So I hope as well that it will not matter much. Though, my burgundy is starting to bloom now as well. I live in Southern California.

This post was edited by mtux96 on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 16:43

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 4:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brownmola

I have 4 pluots/plums that are in a side yard that is pretty much shaded all winter, without direct sunlight and they have been fine. The ground the are planted in don't get direct sunlight all winter. Did you choose a wet soil tolerant rootstock like citation? I also live in southern CA, so I think that helps.

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Help, fuzzy scion wood
Hi all, I got apple scions from ARS last week and was...
zendog
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
Help me choose fruit varieties to grow in NJ and nurseries
I have been reading some old posts regarding the fruit...
bemonkey Zone 7 South New Jersey
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™