how big do Fuyu persimmon trees get?

thisbud4u(San Diego)January 17, 2008

Simple question: How big do Fuyu persimmon trees get? My friend purchased a Fuj-Jiro ("apple persimmon") bare root tree from Home Depot. The tag said it came from Dave Wilson nursery, so of course I went there to try to get info on it, but the website for DW Nursery doesn't seem to have any info on the size of the tree when mature. If anyone knows, please reply. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenwitch(Sz19 SoCal)

They get about 12 - 15 feet if you let them. I keep mine only as tall as I can reach and I have trained the lower branches horizontally (I planted 4 within 2' of each other and keep the inside branches either pruned or trained away from the center "light well." They are more like persimmon bushes than trees).
If you summer prune them to keep them shorter it may be a factor in bringing them to fruit sooner. I read it takes up to 5 years for persimmons to start fruiting but mine fruited the 2nd year and I got ~100 fruits by the 3rd year. Jiro is what is sold as Fuyu in this country.

Bookmark   January 17, 2008 at 4:45PM
thisbud4u(San Diego)

Thanks, greenwitch!

Bookmark   January 18, 2008 at 12:50AM
miketrees(WA Australia)

I have seen really big ones but that is only if they are in really good soil with plenty of water.
Soil is a bit scarse at my place I have one tree planted on rock and it has only grown to about 6 foot tall in 15 years
It still has good fruit tho

Bookmark   January 19, 2008 at 6:37AM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™