muscadines & cold weather

john222-gg(Mississippi 8a/8b)January 6, 2014

I have put in muscadines this last year but I don't know how well they will take the cold. My weather is not going to be as bad as the people up north but tonight it will drop into the teens. Not even low teens. I just don't know how much cold weather muscadines can take. Any advise would be helpful. Should I cover or not?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Teens should be OK, but single digits can be bad. They usually come back from the roots if they die but then you have a few years before they are fruiting again.

4F for me tonight, I could lose a muscadine or two.

Scott

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 5:16PM
poolecw(Georgia 7b)

I planted muscadines back in Spring 2013 as well. When it got really cold, I mounded hay straw around them for protection. I went 2ft thick and maybe 3ft in diameter.

Isons Nursery in middle Ga recommends mounding dirt up around the trunk and leaving until spring.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 3:36PM
zzackey(8b GA)

Hubby pruned ours the other day. January is our month to prune. It will give you much better production. Find out when you need to do your annual pruning.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 4:13PM
vanman23(6b/7a - OK)

I have a Cowart muscadine planted against the South wall of a barely heated guest house. It got down to 2 degrees here in Tulsa a couple of weeks ago and suppose to be 8 degrees tonight. It actually pulled the trellis down over the summer and is just laying on the ground. Just checked the plant this AM and it is still green and flexible. So hopefully it will be OK. I think I am about as far north as possible to grow muscadine. I've never seen a wild plant here like I have in GA when I was growing up.

Van

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 10:47AM
RobThomas

A couple of weeks ago it got down to -3 here. My 4 muscadine vines still appear to be alive and healthy. Even the "Ison" which is supposedly more prone to cold damage. Getting down to around 5 tonight, and more single digit temps next week. By far the coldest winter here in at least 30 years. I'm hoping everything pulls through. Spring can't get here soon enough.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
Indoor Spring Start To Raspberries
Hi...under advisement from Cornell University, they...
Greenhorn2
Goji Berries, where to buy seeds?
Hey, so this is my second year gardening, last year...
M3rc_Nate
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Bushwhacker Blood
newly planted blueberries turning red
I planted 15 blueberries, 8 biloxi and 7 star. 10 of...
tugagardener
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™