How do you fertilize blackberries, raspberries & strawberries?

tatton95(5)January 27, 2012

I am trying to figure out the best way to fertilize blackberries, raspberries and strawberries. I currently fertilize only in the spring, and it seems like they could use a little more later on in the season. Oregon State (which seems like it would be a good source since berries grow so well in Oregon) recommends taking the total amount of fertilizer, divide it into three amounts and feed the berries in early spring, late spring and early summer. I have read so many different methods, that I'm not sure which is the best. Just wondering what has worked best for those who grow these berries?

Thank you.

Brett

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jolj(7b/8a)

I do not fertilize my raspberries & they are still trying to take over( I water & get bigger berries).
I put compost out every Spring & early Fall, then mulch to keep water in & weeds out of my blackberries & strawberries.

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 6:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

The Oregon State method you referred to probably involves fairly fast-acting fertilizer, is intended for commercial farmers, and would work well.

For blackberries, a good dose of manure-containing mulch applied in late fall or early winter works fine for the rest of the year, can protect the ground from freezing in winter and drying out in summer.

Water becomes more important in late spring to early summer if your weather is dry then.

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™