Newbie raspberry questions
We're in Western NY (z5/6), and we prepared a bed in the fall for planting raspberries. It's about 20'x 3' with plenty of room around it. Single row for now, although we might expand in the future. Now we just have to get the plants! We've been thinking of getting about 3 varieties, for a total of 7-10 plants, depending on their spacing requirements (I've seen 2' and 3' recommendations).
This is our first time growing raspberries, so I have a few questions:
1. Does anyone have a good source they'd recommend? My usual online veggie source (Johnny's) only sells in sets of 5+, which is too many for us, given that we want some variety. The prices for these vary A LOT. I've seen 1/$25 and 1/$2.50! I know how to interpret that for perennials, but I'm bewildered with raspberry canes.
2. Any particular varieties you'd recommend for this climate? Or ones that would you recommend against?
3. Aside from building up (done), is there any sort of structure (e.g., trellising) that you recommend? We're open to building, but I've seen lots of raspberry stands with no butressing that look just fine.
4. Do you recommend mulching? What kind of mulch?
5. Any other advice/thoughts?
Thanks so much!!!