cold hardiness of chip buds

alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)January 6, 2014

In the late summer I chip budded Asian persimmon 'Tam Kam' onto D. virginiana for a friend of mine. They remained dormant, so I expect them to grow in the spring. We're in zone 6, which is the limit for this variety, and I haven't had any dieback on my tree in years past. However, with the cold air coming tonight, I'm wondering if the chip buds are as cold hardy as full branches. Any thoughts on this?

Alex

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

I have no idea, but i have some (peaches/japanese plums) out in the yard and they are being tested big time. I also have some in the garage that should be ok. My guess is that if they are still wrapped it might help some...but who knows.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 11:11PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I would wrap them well to keep from drying out. I used to remove parafilm in fall but now I let it stay on through the winter for extra protection, and I re-wrap if it cracked. For peaches in particular I noticed live buds in fall turned to dead buds in spring.

Scott

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 9:33AM
mamuang_gw

I wish I would have thought of re-wrap mine sonner!!! I t-budded my peach and looked like a couple were taken.

Now that they have been exposed to subzero for a few days. Don't know if it's too late to re-wrap them!!

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 12:19PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

mamuang, I don't have any hard data that it helps, but it won't hurt to wrap them now since we are only halfway thorough the worst of winter.

Scott

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 3:21PM
ltilton

Hoping I missed unwrapping some.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 4:58PM
mamuang_gw

Thanks, Scott,

I went out to wrap a few viable buds after work today. I could not do it with gloves so I had to do it with barehand. My hands were numb after only a few minutes.

It was about -15F with windchill (I know it's not as cold as the midwest) Glad I only had a few to wrap!!!

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Blue Berries-acid soil and other vegetable plants
I have been growing blue berry plants intermixed with...
RonCz
Fungus on grapes from last season?
Near the end of last season my grape plants got a fungus...
frdnicholas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™