this is the season

john222-gg(Mississippi 8a/8b)January 30, 2013

This is the time for planting fruit trees.I hope people check chill hours before buying new trees.I am one that thought just because they were being sold at a local market that they were for this area.Wrong!!!! I had 4 years in peach trees that will not produce fruit in my area.Don't be disappointed like me.Be sure and check chill hours for your area and match trees with area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Well, I'm one for pushing the limits a bit. Chill hours can be a bit arbitrary. So, I have some trees in my yard that are listed at higher chill hours, but are still producing in my area. So, I would say become educated about chill hours, and exactly what chill hours you have on your property. Being in California, with our crazy micro climates, I can have an almost 200 hour difference on different parts of my property. I have planted nearly all of my stone fruit in the "cold pocket" in my yard, and I installed my Davis weather station in that area, so I can track my chill hours a bit more accurately. But, I have seen bare root fruit trees in some of the big box stores that are certainly way too many chill hours for folks closer to the coast (I am about 6-7 miles from the ocean and in the hills). Our Lowe's/Home Depot are trying to do a better job, but still, a few varieties would be difficult at best, at the coast.

Patty S.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™